Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Golfer Honey Baisoya living father’s dream

Golfer Honey Baisoya living father’s dream

INDIAN golfer Honey Baisoya was born to play golf and realise his father’s dream. His father Ravinder Singh used to work as a caddie at the Delhi Golf Club but never had the means to pursue a playing career. So, even before he became a father, Ravinder had made up his mind to make his firstborn a professional golfer.

On Thursday (23), Baisoya made him proud as he emerged as the clubhouse leader with a sizzling six-under 66 in the opening round of the Hero Indian Open at the tough DLF golf course in Gurugram.


“My dad used to be a caddy, his dream was to be a professional golfer. He didn’t have any money, so he decided that his firstborn will be a professional golfer,” he said.

“When I was five, I used to practice in a football field at Thyagaraj stadium and dad used to tell me if you can hit the ball across the fence then I will give you one rupee. So all day I would keep hitting hard to get it across the fence.” By the time Baisoya was seven years old, he started playing at Delhi Golf Club.

“We of course couldn’t afford the membership but DGC used to support the caddies and their kids back then.

“I was always focused to become a professional even when I was playing in my junior days. I was winning D, C and A category tournaments, so I was into competitive golf.” Golf runs in his blood. His uncle used to play as a professional and his brother and cousin are also into the sport.

“My father’s elder brother Gustram ji played as a professional golfer for a good time. So he knew few members in DGC,” Baisoya said.

“My younger brother Chetan had started playing golf in 2017 but then this DGC issue happened. But DLF now supports his practice. My cousin Kapil Kumar also practices here.”

He was part of the group, including Rashid Khan, which was forced to practice at a wasteland on the outskirts of the national capital after being banned from practicing at DGC due to disciplinary issues.

Since turning pro in 2013, Honey has won seven events on PGTI, six of them coming between 2016 and 2018 and one in April 2021. But he has never won any title other than on PGTI.

“Last few years it has been a little tough for me. I’ve only won one single tournament (since 2018) and missed a lot of cuts. So it has been tough.”

The 26-year-old played a lot of junior golf with Shubhankar Sharma and Manu Gandas but he didn’t get much success initially.

“I think it was because of the mindset. My target, in the beginning, was just to make the cut in PGTI tournaments. And it was like I was pressurized by my father and others around me, and some told me to play a little safe. You need to think about the cut, they would say. So maybe that’s why.

“But, now I’m going to play for the win. Last week I was staying with Gaganjeet Bhullar in Qatar, where I missed the cut. I was talking to him and he told me to change my mindset. He said I needed to make my goals bigger. And that’s what I’m doing now.

“I also never used to have a coach, I have one now. Till last year I didn’t know how to play in the wind but now I can play comfortably in the wind. That has made a big difference to my game.” On Thursday, Honey sank eight birdies against a double bogey.

“I was a little nervous in the first three holes because I was missing putts. I had birdied the fourth, fifth I birdied and in the sixth hole, I birdied from 45-50 feet which was a sloppy putt after which my mindset changed.

“I thought I can break the course record which is 8-under, something I would have achieved if not for the double bogey.”

(PTI)

More For You

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

Foreign Office minister Catherine West, health secretary Wes Streeting and equalities minister Seema Malhotra during the Holi Reception in London.

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

THE recent health and life sciences agreement between the UK and India will strengthen cooperation on healthcare innovation and security in both countries, health secretary Wes Streeting said.

Speaking at the Holi reception organised by the India All-Party Parliamentary Group and the 1928 Institute in London on Monday (24), he added that the contribution of British Indians has been pivotal in the growth of the NHS since its inception in 1948, and a robust partnership between the two nations will ensure we have a healthcare provider 'fit for the future'.

Keep ReadingShow less
Renée Zellweger Joins Only Murders in the Building Season 5 Cast

Renée Zellweger joins the cast of Only Murders in the Building Season 5, bringing more star power to the hit series

Getty Images

Renée Zellweger joins ‘Only Murders in the Building’ season 5 with an expanded star-studded cast

The Oscar-winning actress joins Steve Martin, Selena Gomez, and Martin Short in Hulu’s hit mystery-comedy for an exciting new season.

Renée Zellweger is the latest Hollywood star to join Hulu's hit mystery-comedy Only Murders in the Building for its fifth season. The two-time Academy Award winner will share the screen with series regulars Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez, adding to the show’s already impressive line-up of guest stars.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-steel-iStock

An aerial view of Steel Plant Industry in Scunthorpe. (Photo: iStock)

British Steel to shut blast furnaces, up to 2,700 jobs at risk

BRITISH STEEL, owned by Chinese group Jingye, confirmed on Thursday that it will shut down its blast furnaces and steelmaking operations in England, attributing the decision to market challenges, tariffs, and rising environmental costs.

The closures, first proposed in late 2023, could lead to the loss of up to 2,700 jobs at the company’s main UK site in Scunthorpe, northern England, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Keep ReadingShow less
We are what we eat: How ending malnutrition could save millions of lives around the world

Malnutrition is the underlying cause of almost 50 per cent of child deaths around the world

Getty Images

We are what we eat: How ending malnutrition could save millions of lives around the world

Baroness Chapman and Afshan Khan

The word “nutrition” can mean many things. In the UK, the word might conjure images of protein powders or our five-a-day of fruit and veg. But nutrition is much more than that. Nutrition plays a crucial role in shaping the health and life chances of people around the world.

Malnutrition is the underlying cause of almost 50 per cent of child deaths around the world as it weakens the immune system, reducing resilience to disease outbreaks such as cholera and measles. This is equivalent to approximately 2.25 million children dying annually - more than the number of children under five in Spain, Poland, Greece, or Portugal.

Keep ReadingShow less
Just Stop Oil

Just Stop Oil has garnered significant media attention with its direct action protests

Getty Images

Just Stop Oil ends direct action campaign after major policy success

The environmental activist group Just Stop Oil has announced an end to its disruptive direct action protests, declaring a significant victory in its campaign to halt new oil and gas developments. In a statement released by the organisation, the group confirmed it had successfully influenced government policy to abandon new fossil fuel exploration, marking a major turning point in the movement’s goals.

“Just Stop Oil's initial demand to end new oil and gas is now government policy, making us one of the most successful civil resistance campaigns in recent history,” the group’s statement read. It went on to claim responsibility for having kept over 4.4 billion barrels of oil in the ground, while legal victories in the courts have ruled new oil and gas licences unlawful.

Keep ReadingShow less