Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Halep steers steady path past Zhang into Wimbledon semis

FORMER world number one Simona Halep reached her second Wimbledon semi-final after overcoming an early onslaught to deliver another textbook example of matchplay tennis and dispatch China's unseeded Zhang Shuai 7-6(4) 6-1 on Tuesday (9).

Just as she did in quelling the lively challenge of 15-year-old Coco Gauff on Monday (8), Halep initially struggled and looked in real danger when 4-1 down and facing more break points in the opening set. However, the Romanian dug in to see off the threat then played her usual percentage tennis as Zhang lost her way.


Seventh-seed Halep now faces Ukrainian eighth seed Elina Svitolina, who beat unseeded Czech Karolina Muchova in straight sets, as she bids to reach the final for the first time having lost to Eugenie Bouchard in the last four in 2014.

"I was a little bit nervous before the match, a little bit stressed, I knew that she was going to come and hit the ball strongly, Halep said.

"With her the ball doesn't bounce that much so it's really tough to return. But I kept fighting. I knew that I had to be 100 percent for every ball, then I could break her rhythm a little bit. It happened in the second set."

Zhang, who won the pair's last two meetings in 2016, is ranked 50th and has reached the quarter-finals in only one Grand Slam event - the 2016 Australian Open.

However, she started superbly, serving and returning with depth, power and confidence to break in the second game and race to a 4-1 lead. That looked set to be 5-1 but Halep battled and chased to save four break points in a key game that lasted over 10 minutes and turned the match.

The 27-year-old Romanian, last year's French Open champion, began to find her own rhythm, delivering the calculated, low-risk groundstrokes that wore down American Gauff to hold, then broke back via a double fault.

Zhang's double-handed backhand, so deadly in the opening games, began to pepper the tramlines as the inconsistency indicated by her poor Grand Slam record became evident.

She clung on to get to a tiebreak but was well beaten in it and an early break in the second set put Halep 3-1 up.

Zhang's head then dropped and the errors flowed as Halep rattled through the remaining games at a canter.

"I was happy to make the quarter-finals and I had a really good start today," said Zhang. "I was hitting a lot of winners but after the 4-1 game I made more mistakes and she found a really good rhythm. Everything started to change then."

Halep said she now feels much more comfortable on grass having struggled on many of her previous appearances.

"It's a little bit dangerous when you play on grass because the feet are not really stable but now I've started to feel it, to have it in my hands, to have it in my legs, and also in my mind, which is very important," she said.

"I'm doing things to make the court work for me, like playing a little bit wider, then the ball slides a little bit because it's a grass court.

"I try to adjust myself, my body, to this court. I just feel more confident now."

(Reuters)

More For You

IPL 2025: RCB vs GT – Bengaluru Braces for High-Voltage Battle

Out of the 5 encounters between the two teams, RCB has won 3, while GT has secured 2 victories so far

Getty

IPL 2025 - RCB vs GT: Bengaluru prepares for a high-voltage encounter

The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2025 is set to heat up as Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) takes on Gujarat Titans (GT) in the 14th match of the season at M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru on April 2nd. This exciting encounter brings together two teams in top form, with both having a win and a loss under their belt. However, RCB, with their unbeaten record so far in the tournament, enters the contest with more confidence.

RCB’s form and strength

RCB has been nothing short of dominant in their first two matches of the season. They have put on stellar performances, especially with their commanding victories over Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) and Chennai Super Kings (CSK). In their last match against KKR, RCB chased down a target of 175 runs with ease, reaching the target in just 16.2 overs with seven wickets to spare. Their victory over CSK was even more impressive, as they handed the three-time champions their biggest home defeat in terms of runs. With two wins and a positive net run rate of +2.266, RCB’s well-balanced squad, including Virat Kohli, Rajat Patidar, and Josh Hazlewood, is primed for another thrilling victory.

Keep ReadingShow less
Lucknow Hosts Punjab in First Home Game of the Season

Fans can expect a nail-biting finish

Getty

IPL 2025 - LSG vs PBKS: Lucknow to host Punjab in first home game of the season

The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2025 continues to build momentum, and on April 1, fans can expect a thrilling encounter as Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) host Punjab Kings (PBKS) at the Ekana Cricket Stadium in Lucknow. This exciting fixture marks LSG's first home game of the season, and with both teams coming off strong performances, the match promises to be an intense showdown.

LSG, led by the young and dynamic Rishabh Pant, have had a mixed start to the season, with one win and one loss. In contrast, PBKS, under the leadership of Shreyas Iyer, will be looking to maintain their winning streak after their solid victory in their opening game. The stage is set for a thrilling battle, and all eyes will be on the key players who could turn the tide.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ashwani-Kumar-Getty

Kumar’s 4-24 helped restrict Kolkata to 116, which Mumbai chased down comfortably with more than seven overs to spare. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Ashwani Kumar’s four-wicket haul helps Mumbai secure first IPL win

MUMBAI INDIANS secured their first win of the IPL season on Monday, defeating Kolkata Knight Riders by eight wickets, with debutant medium pacer Ashwani Kumar playing a key role.

Kumar’s 4-24 helped restrict Kolkata to 116, which Mumbai chased down comfortably with more than seven overs to spare.

Keep ReadingShow less
mitchell-starc-getty

Starc, the Australian left-arm pacer, returned figures of 5-35 as Delhi bowled out Hyderabad for 163. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starc’s five-for, Rana’s 81 power Delhi and Rajasthan to IPL wins

MITCHELL STARC picked up his first five-wicket haul in T20 cricket, while Nitish Rana’s quickfire 81 off 36 balls helped Delhi Capitals and Rajasthan Royals secure wins in the IPL on Sunday.

Starc, the Australian left-arm pacer, returned figures of 5-35 as Delhi bowled out Hyderabad for 163. Delhi chased the target comfortably, winning by seven wickets with four overs to spare, marking their second consecutive victory in the tournament.

Keep ReadingShow less
Krishna-IPL-Getty

Siraj dismissed both Mumbai openers early, while Krishna struck in the middle overs, finishing with figures of 2-18. (Photo: Getty Images)

Siraj, Krishna lead Gujarat to win over Mumbai in IPL

FAST bowlers Mohammed Siraj and Prasidh Krishna took two wickets each as Gujarat Titans defeated Mumbai Indians by 36 runs, securing their first win of the IPL season on Saturday.

Batting first after being invited, Gujarat posted 196-8, with Sai Sudharsan scoring 63 off 41 balls at the Ahmedabad stadium.

Keep ReadingShow less