Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Hate crime on rise after Boris Johnson row

by LAUREN CODLING

PRIME minister Theresa May has been cautioned against “whitewashing” any inquiries on former foreign secretary Boris Johnson’s remarks about burqas, as a leading charity has warned hate crime aimed at Muslim women had spiked since his divisive comments.


In a letter on Monday (13), the Muslim Council of Britain said no one should be allowed

to “victimise minorities with impunity”.

Conservative MP Johnson compared women in burqas and niqabs to “bank robbers” and “letter boxes” in a newspaper column earlier this month, sparking a debate among fellow politicians and community leaders.

May criticised Johnson’s comments last Wednesday (8), stating his remarks had caused offence and it was “wrong to have used [the] language”.

Calls for an urgent inquiry by the Conservative party have been made by leading politicians such as Tory peer and former party chair Baroness Warsi, who has previously accused the governing party of harbouring Islamophobic views. The Conservatives deny the allegation.

Lord Sheikh, the founder of the Conservative Muslim Forum, said last week that Johnson should have the whip withdrawn.

Labour MP Rushanara Ali said Johnson’s comments were an “indefensible and dangerous attempt” to stir up hatred towards Muslims at a time when Islamophobia has spiked in the UK.

“Johnson is pandering to the far-right instead of standing up for British values such as the protection of minority rights, including freedom of religious expression,” Ali, who represents Bethnal Green and Bow, said.

Fellow Labour MP Rupa Huq, who represents Ealing Central and Acton in London, shared

Ali’s sentiments, calling Johnson’s comments “deliberately calculated and divisive”.

Meanwhile, Tell Mama, a national project which records and measures anti-Muslim incidents

across the UK, has reported a spike in incidents of abuse aimed at Muslim women since the comments were made public.

Fiyaz Mughal OBE, the founder of Tell Mama, confirmed a “direct link” between the politician’s comments and an impact of Muslim women.

“Mr Johnson thinks his flippant comments were funny, and while his comments were about

the burqa, perpetrators see any visibly identifiable woman and off they go with their bigotry and prejudice,” Mughal said.

The Muslim Council of Britain also confirmed they had received hate mail which referred to the same derogatory language as Johnson used in his column.

Mohammad Yasin, a Labour politician representing Bedford, told Eastern Eye it was “unacceptable” women have been subjected to abuse due to Johnson’s comments.

“His unnecessarily offensive and calculated comments were not about opening a fair and honest debate, but an insult to women of a minority within a minority group,” Yasin said.

“We have now had over a week of public comment and opinion and political argument within government over whether it is acceptable to sneer at Muslim women in religious dress.

“In my view, this is precisely the divisive conversation Mr Johnson knew his comments

would provoke in the country.”

Labour MP Afzal Khan told Eastern Eye he had called for an inquiry into Islamophobia in the

Tory party for some time now, but had always “been rebuffed”.

The representative for Manchester Gorton also noted the Muslim Council of Britain had presented the party with “irrefutable” evidence of conduct which fell foul of the party’s code of conduct.

“Until the party launches an independent inquiry examining the problem, it will not convince Muslims or other minorities that its house is in order,” he said.

Both politicians shared similar sentiments on the use the burka, stating women should be able to choose what they wear.

“It is for women for all faiths and none to decide how they wish to dress,” Yasin said.

However, there has been some support for Johnson. Comic Rowan Atkinson wrote a public

letter to The Times last week advising him not to apologise and former Tory chief whip Andrew Mitchell said the MP had used “colourful language”, but Johnson should not refute his comments.

In an opinion piece in The Telegraph last Saturday (11), Dr Qanta Ahmed wrote she was thankful for Johnson’s comments. She added much of the hysteria was focused on his analogies rather than his points.

“The nation fails to recognise that Mr Johnson generously – but, in my view as an observant Muslim woman, mistakenly – welcomed British Muslim women as free to choose to wear the veil,” Dr Ahmed said. “…Like many other Muslim women, I am thankful Boris said what he did. To criticise the niqab and to criticise Muslim women are two very different things.”

However, Muslim campaigner Shelina Janmohamed said if Johnson was genuine in addressing the issue, he would have spoken in a more “respectful way”.

“I think people should not be distracted by the fact that there are strong opinions about the

burqa and realise this is one more example of an environment where it is okay to talk about minorities in a way that generates hatred, bigotry and violence,” Janmohamed told Eastern Eye.

“As a nation, we need to have a moment of soul-searching about why it is okay to whip up hate against a minority.”

Janmohamed admitted she had suffered from “vast” amounts of abuse on social media since the comments had come to light.

In 2016-17, information from the police across England and Wales showed there were approximately 80,400 reported hate crimes. This was a 29 per cent an increase from the year before. An estimated 78 per cent of these crimes are racially motivated.

Shaista Gohir OBE, chair of the Muslim Women’s Network UK (MWNUK), told Eastern Eye Johnson deliberately used language similar to racists. She thinks it is to target “intolerant voters”.

“Rather than challenge their attitudes, he is pandering to them because he wants to be the next PM,” she said. “Someone like him is not for fit nor responsible enough to lead the Tory party or be leader on this country.”

Qari Muhammad Asim MBE, a senior Imam, told Eastern Eye the column has “[fanned] the flames of Islamophobia.”

Asked for his view on burkas and hijabs, Asim – who is worship leader at Makkah Masjid mosque in Leeds – stressed it was not a compulsory garment.

Asim further highlighted that not only did the “derogatory” statements play into the hands of the far-right, but also to extremists inspired by militant ideology.

“They try to radicalise young people by saying there is no place for you in British society, then a senior politician is ridiculing members of the Muslim community,” he said. “It is a huge concern.”

As Eastern Eye went to print, Johnson had yet to comment on his remarks.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less