Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Heard ‘absolutely not’ able to pay Depp $10.35 million in damages: lawyer

Depp sued Heard over an op-ed she wrote for The Washington Post in December 2018.

Heard ‘absolutely not’ able to pay Depp $10.35 million in damages: lawyer

Actress Amber Heard is unable to pay her ex-husband Johnny Depp more than $10 million in damages, her lawyer said Thursday after a US jury took the side of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” star in a bitter defamation trial.

The high-profile televised court battle ended Wednesday when a seven-person jury found that Depp and Heard had defamed each other, but weighed in far more strongly with Depp.


The jury, after a six-week trial featuring claims and counterclaims of domestic abuse, awarded him $10.35 million in damages, in contrast with $2 million awarded to Heard.

Asked on NBC's TODAY show if Heard will be able to pay up, her attorney Elaine Bredehoft said: "Oh no, absolutely not."

She added that the Aquaman star wants to appeal the verdict and "has some excellent grounds for it."

The 58-year-old Depp, who lost a libel case against the British tabloid The Sun in London in 2020 for calling him a “wife-beater,” celebrated the split verdict in the case as a victory while Heard said she was "heart-broken.”

Depp sued Heard over an op-ed she wrote for The Washington Post in December 2018 in which she described herself as a “public figure representing domestic abuse.”

The Texas-born Heard did not name Depp in the piece, but he sued her for implying he was a domestic abuser and sought $50 million in damages.

The 36-year-old Heard countersued for $100 million, saying she was defamed by statements made by Depp's lawyer, Adam Waldman, who told the Daily Mail her abuse claims were a "hoax."

Horrible message

Bredehoft said Depp's legal team worked to "demonize" Heard and suppressed crucial evidence in the trial, preventing the jurors from examining evidence of Depp's alleged abuse.

"A number of things were allowed in this court that should not have been allowed, and it caused the jury to be confused," she said.

"We had an enormous amount of evidence that was suppressed in this case that was in the UK case," she said. "In the UK case when it came in, Amber won, Mr. Depp lost."

The lawyer said the ruling bodes ill for the MeToo movement and will discourage women from reporting sexual harassment and abuse.

"It's a horrible message," Bredehoft said. "It's a significant setback, because that's exactly what it means.

"Unless you pull out your phone and you video your spouse or your significant other beating you, effectively you won't be believed."

Bredehoft was asked by TODAY about Heard's immediate reaction to the verdict in the trial, which took place in Fairfax County Circuit Court near the US capital.

"One of the first things she said is that, 'I am so sorry to all those women out there,'" she said. "This is a setback for all women in and outside the courtroom, and she feels the burden of that."

More For You

Saif Ali Khan’s ‘Jewel Thief: The Heist Begins’ Poster Unveiled

Saif Ali Khan, Jaideep Ahlawat, and the ensemble cast shine in the poster of Jewel Thief: The Heist

Instagram/netflix_in

Saif Ali Khan’s latest Netflix film ‘Jewel Thief: The Heist Begins’ drops an intriguing new poster

Netflix released a new poster for Jewel Thief: The Heist Begins, and it’s already got fans talking. The image shows Saif Ali Khan with a sharp, focused gaze, his eye cleverly framed by the silhouette of a diamond, hinting at the high-stakes heist at the heart of the film.

Slated for release on April 25, the movie follows a skilled thief hired by a crime boss to steal the legendary African Red Sun diamond. But as expected, things don’t go as planned. The teaser, dropped earlier this year, showed us a tense partnership between Saif and Jaideep Ahlawat, with twists, betrayals, and plenty of action in store.

Keep ReadingShow less
Empuraan Storm: Success, Censorship Debate & Political Attacks

Prithviraj Sukumaran and Mohanlal at a press meet for L2: Empuraan

Instagram/empuraanmovie

L2: Empuraan - A film that shattered records and sparked a political storm

Few films manage to be both a record-breaking success and a lightning rod for controversy at the same time. But L2: Empuraan, the much-hyped sequel to Lucifer, has done exactly that. The Prithviraj Sukumaran directorial, starring Mohanlal, has not only rewritten and shattered box office history but also sparked a nationwide debate on censorship, political narratives, and artistic freedom.

On one hand, it’s the fastest Malayalam film to gross £5.1 million (₹50 crore) in Kerala, the first Malayalam film to cross £10.2 million (₹100 crore) overseas, and a £20.4 million (₹200 crore) club entrant within just five days. On the other hand, it has been accused of pushing a political agenda, leading to 2m 8s, 24 last-minute cuts, a legal battle, and a full-blown culture war.

Keep ReadingShow less
Hayley Atwell Reveals Tom Cruise’s Advice on Social Anxiety

Atwell explained that Cruise’s advice helped her focus on identifying the sources of her anxiety

Getty

Mission Impossible star Hayley Atwell reveals Tom Cruise's advice to overcome social anxiety

Hayley Atwell has opened up about the helpful advice Tom Cruise gave her on how to cope with social anxiety, a topic that resonates with many, including those working in the intense world of Hollywood. Atwell, known for her role as Peggy Carter in Marvel films and for starring alongside Cruise in Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning (2023), revealed how Cruise's wisdom has helped her deal with nervousness in large social gatherings, something she’s not immune to despite her prominent career.

As Atwell prepares to reprise her role in what is expected to be the last chapter of the Mission: Impossible series, The Final Reckoning, due for release in May, her reflections on social anxiety offer an insightful perspective on how even the most successful stars experience self-doubt. She recently discussed this on the Reign with Josh Smith podcast, explaining how she often battles the feelings that come with being in a room full of people.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sam Mendes Unveils Cast for Beatles Biopic Four-Film Event in 2028

The Beatles - A Four-Film Cinematic Event, directed by Sam Mendes

Instagram/Sonypictures

Paul Mescal, Barry Keoghan & more: Sam Mendes’ Beatles Biopics' cast revealed for the epic four-film event in 2028

Hollywood is about to take us on a journey like never before through the lives of ‘The Beatles,’ one member at a time! Director Sam Mendes, known for films like 1917 and Skyfall, has revealed the actors who’ll step into the shoes of John, Paul, George, and Ringo in four separate biopics, all hitting theatres in April 2028.

Harris Dickinson will play John Lennon, Paul Mescal takes on Paul McCartney, Barry Keoghan becomes Ringo Starr, and Joseph Quinn transforms into George Harrison. The announcement came at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, where Mendes and the cast surprised the crowd. Instead of cramming the band’s epic story into one movie or stretching it into a series, Mendes chose a different approach: four interconnected films, each diving deep into a different Beatle’s life.

Keep ReadingShow less