Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Home secretary Javid unveils new counter-terrorism strategy

Home Secretary Sajid Javid has unveiled his new counter-terrorism strategy under which domestic security services will share information with other agencies on British citizens suspected of having terrorist sympathies.

In his first keynote speech on security since he became home secretary, Javid announced a range of steps aimed at strengthening the powers available to security agencies to prevent attacks from Islamist as well as extreme right-wing terror groups.


He said MI5 will be allowed to declassify and share information on UK citizens suspected of having terrorist sympathies with other government agencies, local authorities and businesses, the BBC reported.

Under the new counter-terrorism plan, he said, key biographical data will be given to neighbourhood police, councils and the charity commission in London, Midlands and Manchester trial schemes.

Javid said there had been a "step change" in the threat to the UK, with 25 Islamist-linked plots foiled in the last five years and four extreme right plots stopped since March 2017.

He said there is a need for increased and faster sharing of information between security services and the police as well as local authorities and other public agencies so that there is no "safe space" in the UK for terrorists to plan and carry out attacks.

The security services currently hold information on around 20,000 people labelled "closed subjects of concern" who have previously been investigated and it is believed could pose a threat in the future, the BBC said.

Intelligence on up to a hundred of these could initially be shared.

Examples of co-operation, he said, could lead to "faster alerts for suspicious purchases, improving security at crowded places across the UK, and reducing the vulnerability of our critical infrastructure".

Other proposals include increasing maximum sentences for some offences and enhancing the use of data to track terrorism suspects.

Javid's speech comes a day after the one-year anniversary of the London Bridge attack. The attack involved three attackers led by Pakistani-origin terror suspect Khuram Butt going on a rampage killing eight people and injuring 48 others before being shot by police.

The new counter-terrorism strategy came amid reports that UK police and security services are facing a surge in the number of convicted terrorists released from prison.

The Guardian newspaper reported that more than 40 per cent of the sentences for terrorism offences handed down over a 10-year period will have been served by the end of the year.

More than 80 of the 193 terror-related sentences handed down between 2007 and 2016 will expire this year. The number of individuals released could be much higher as prisoners are eligible for release halfway through their sentence, the daily said.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less