Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Hunt tightens unemployment benefit access to 'tackle inactivity'

The country’s unemployment rate has held steady at 4.2 per cent over the three months to the end of September

Hunt tightens unemployment benefit access to 'tackle inactivity'

CHANCELLOR Jeremy Hunt has announced incentives and sanctions aimed at tackling the country's soaring levels of inactivity among working-age people, an increasingly acute economic problem.

The "Back to Work" plan, billed as a way to help people "stay healthy, get off benefits and move into work", will form part of the Autumn Statement that Hunt will present next Wednesday (22).


The plans were welcomed by business groups but the Institute for Employment Studies (IES), a non-partisan think tank, said Hunt's tough talk about people who "coast on the hard work of taxpayers" was misplaced.

The opposition Labour party said the plan failed to tackle the root causes behind economic inactivity.

A record 2.6 million Britons were not working because of long-term sickness as of mid-2023, which economists say reflects the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic but also high waiting times in an increasingly stretched health service.

The plan, which includes £2.5 billion ($3.1bn) of investment over the next five years, aims to boost the support available to those with physical or mental conditions so they can stay in work, helping up to 1.1 million people.

But it also includes tougher benefit sanctions "for people who are able to work but refuse to engage" with their local employment office.

Hunt, hoping to assuage the many Conservative lawmakers who are alarmed at Labour's big lead in opinion polls, looks set to trim taxes in his Nov. 22 budget update.

"These changes mean there's help and support for everyone – but for those who refuse it, there are consequences too. Anyone choosing to coast on the hard work of taxpayers will lose their benefits," Hunt said of the "Back to Work" plan.

Tony Wilson, director of the IES, said extra investment in employment support was welcome but he criticised Hunt's characterisation of people who coast.

"This sort of language just pushes people away – alienating those who could benefit from support, alienating employers and alienating partners like GPs and voluntary services," Wilson said.

Labour said Hunt's plan was "more of the same".

"This poor excuse of a proposal does nothing to fundamentally change the state of our health service or our Jobcentres after a decade of failure from the Tories," said Labour's work and pensions spokeswoman Liz Kendall.

The Recruitment and Employment Confederation, a trade body, said it welcomed the plans.

(Agencies)

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less