Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

I didn't break any rules in Greensill lobbying, says David Cameron

THE former prime minister has finally broken his silence in the Greensill Capital lobbying row and said he should have rather approached ministers formally.

David Cameron, however, in a statement last night insisted that he had not broken any rules.


Cameron has faced criticism for contacting chancellor Rishi Sunak and two other ministers from the Treasury on behalf of the financial firm.

After leaving office, the former Conservative leader worked as an adviser to Greensill Capital, which has now collapsed. The financial firm, a major financer of Sanjeev Gupta-owned Liberty Steel, has now put the future of the steelmaker and its over 5,000 employees at stake.

Last year, working for Greensill, Cameron had texted ministers in the Treasury to appeal for government-backed loans at the outbreak of the pandemic. However, later the requests were rejected by the Treasury.

Cameron was investigated by a watchdog, but was later cleared in March.

In a latest development, health secretary Matt Hancock's name has dropped when he had met Cameron and financier Lex Greensill for a private drink in 2019 to discuss a new payment scheme for the NHS.

However, an ally of Hancock said he had "acted in entirely the correct way".

In his statement, Cameron said: "In my representations to government, I was breaking no codes of conduct and no government rules.

"Ultimately, the outcome of the discussions I encouraged about how Greensill's proposals might be included in the government's CCFF (Covid Corporate Financing Facility) initiative - and help in the wake of the coronavirus crisis - was that they were not taken up.

"So, I complied with the rules and my interventions did not lead to a change in the government's approach to the CCFF."

"As a former prime minister, I accept that communications with government need to be done through only the most formal of channels, so there can be no room for misinterpretation," he added.

Cameron said he worked for Greensill Capital in the first place with the belief that there "would be a material benefit for UK businesses at a challenging time".

In the statement, Cameron added he had "very little to do with Lex Greensill" during his time as prime minister.

"He was not a political appointee, but part of the Civil Service drive to improve government efficiency," he said.

"The false impression has been created that Lex Greensill was a close member of my team, meeting with me on a regular basis.

"The truth is, I had very little to do with Lex Greensill at this stage - as I recall, I met him twice at most in the entirety of my time as prime minister," he also said.

Labour said Cameron’s statement has left “many serious questions” unanswered and demanded that he address them before parliament.

Rachel Reeves, the shadow chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, said: “It is crucial that the former prime minister appears before parliament so that all the information is brought to light. Transparency and accountability are crucial and that requires the utmost openness from government to establish the full facts behind this scandal.”

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less