Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India ends decades-old subsidy for hajj pilgrims

India's Hindu nationalist government is ending a decades-long policy of offering discounted airfares to Muslims embarking on the Hajj pilgrimage, it announced on Tuesday (16).

The right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party has accused its opponents in the Congress party -- who introduced the Hajj assistance scheme in the 1950s -- of trying to woo Muslim voters through handouts.


Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said the government wants to assist India's roughly 175 million Muslims without resorting to political "appeasement" along religious lines.

"Development with dignity is what we believe in," he said in announcing the decision to scrap the travel subsidy.

He said the cash saved from the scheme would be channelled into economic opportunities and education for Muslims, who make up about 14 percent of India's 1.25 billion people.

Every year more than 100,000 pilgrims travel from India to the holy site of Mecca in Saudi Arabia for a spiritual journey that every faithful Muslim strives to make at least once in their lifetime.

Critics have long argued that India, a secular country, should not extend handouts to any religious community for their faith-based celebrations.

India's top court in 2012 said the scheme should be phased out, and that it contravened a fundamental tenet of Islam -- that only those who could afford to make the pilgrimage do so.

But the right-wing government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi spends millions for Hindus undertaking the Kailash Mansarovar and Kumbh Mela, a sacred bathing ritual that draws millions of pilgrims over four weeks.

Naqvi said 175,000 Indian Muslims would embark on hajj this year -- a record number -- suggesting enthusiasm for the annual pilgrimage would not shrink without the government's financial assistance.

Muslim leaders in India have also urged the government to abolish the travel subsidy, saying state-run carrier Air India was the biggest beneficiary.

More For You

UK houses

The government says the plan will accelerate housing development, create jobs, and contribute to economic growth.

Getty Images

Taskforce to develop thousands of homes on public land

THE GOVERNMENT has launched a taskforce to unlock thousands of homes on surplus public land, with defence sites leading a new approach to development.

The initiative aims to remove barriers to housing projects and support the target of delivering 1.5 million homes by the next parliament.

Keep ReadingShow less
Girl denies targeting Bhim Kohli before fatal park attack
Bhim Kohli. (Photo: Facebook)

Girl denies targeting Bhim Kohli before fatal park attack

A 13-year-old girl, who filmed part of a fatal attack on an elderly man, has denied that she used a photograph of the victim to “target” him before the assault.

The girl is currently on trial for the manslaughter of Bhim Kohli, an 80-year-old who was attacked in Franklin Park, Braunstone Town, Leicestershire, on 1 September last year.

Keep ReadingShow less
King’s College plants cherry tree to honour student killed in accident

Aalia Mahomed

King’s College plants cherry tree to honour student killed in accident

A VIGIL was held on Tuesday (25) at King’s College London to honour the memory of Aalia Mahomed, a 20-year-old student killed in a van collision near the Strand.

Friends, classmates, and staff gathered at the Strand Quad in a solemn ceremony, remembering Mahomed’s life and offering their support to her family.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jonathan Reynolds hails role of faith at London Iftar reception

Jonathan Reynolds

Jonathan Reynolds hails role of faith at London Iftar reception

THE business and trade secretary, Jonathan Reynolds, paid tribute to the role of faith groups in the UK as he hosted an iftar reception in central London on Monday (24) evening.

Diplomats, community leaders, trade representatives and MPs attended the event as Reynolds hailed the contribution of British Muslims.

Keep ReadingShow less
Waste tyres from UK fuel dangerous 'cooking' plants in India: report

Tyres are heated to around 500°C in oxygen-free environments, extracting steel, oil, and carbon black in rural Indian facilities. (Photo by SEBASTIEN BOZON/AFP via Getty Images)

Waste tyres from UK fuel dangerous 'cooking' plants in India: report

MILLIONS of waste tyres from the UK are being shipped to India and processed in makeshift, unregulated furnaces, causing serious environmental damage and health risks to local communities, a BBC investigation has revealed.

The UK produces around 50 million waste tyres annually, with approximately half exported to India under the guise of recycling. However, investigations show that up to 70 per cent of these tyres end up in primitive industrial plants where they undergo a dangerous process called pyrolysis.

Keep ReadingShow less