Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India gets its share of £35m in Nizam funds case

THE Indian High Commission in the UK has finally received millions of pounds after a seven-decade long legal dispute with Pakistan over funds belonging to the Nizam of Hyderabad.

The high commission has received its share of the £35m stuck in a National Westminster bank account since September 20, 1948, that Pakistan had also laid a claim to, The Times of India daily reported quoting the Indian government officials in the British capital.


Pakistan has also paid India £2.8m as 65 per cent of India's legal costs in fighting the case in the London high court, officials said.

The remaining legal costs that India is owed are still being negotiated.

"The news is that Pakistan has paid up," the Indian daily quoted an Indian diplomat in London as saying.

The legal experts representing the titular eighth Nizam stated that the descendants of Nizam had received his share of the fund and 65 per cent of his legal costs too.

The UK high court dismissed Pakistan’s claim over the sum and ruled favouring India and Mukarram Jah, the titular eighth Nizam of Hyderabad, and his younger brother.

India and members of the Nizam’s family had been fighting against Pakistan for six years in the London high court.

The bank had already transferred the money to the court.

The dispute revolved around £1,007,940 and nine shillings transferred in 1948 from the then Nizam of Hyderabad to the bank account of the high commissioner in Britain of the newly-formed state of Pakistan.

That amount has since grown into £35m as the Nizam’s descendants, supported by India, claimed it belonged to them and Pakistan counter-claimed that it was rightfully theirs.

India contended its claim on the sum stating that in 1965, the Nizam had assigned the sum to India during the Indian annexation of the state of Hyderabad.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less