Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India indispensable for open Indo-Pacific, says Japan premier Kishida

In December Japan, officially pacifist since 1945, revamped its defence policy after warning that China posed the ‘greatest security challenge ever’

India indispensable for open Indo-Pacific, says Japan premier Kishida

Japanese prime minister Fumio Kishida on Monday (20) called India vital to ensuring a free and open Indo-Pacific after talks with Indian counterpart Narendra Modi touching on shared concerns about China.

Speaking in New Delhi after meeting the Indian leader, Kishida laid out plans for billions of dollars in investments in infrastructure and other sectors across the region. “I have described Japan’s plan to develop a free and open Indo-Pacific. To achieve this, India is an indispensable partner,” Kishida said.


“Japan will strengthen coordination with the US, Australia, UK, Canada, Europe, and elsewhere. Of course, India is indispensable.”

India, Japan, the United States, and Australia make up the Quad alliance, which positions itself as a bulwark against China’s growing assertiveness in the Asia-Pacific region under president Xi Jinping.

India’s relations with China nosedived after 20 Indian troops died in clashes with Chinese soldiers in 2020 on their Himalayan frontier.

In December Japan, officially pacifist since 1945, revamped its defence policy after warning that China, with which it has a fraught history, posed the “greatest security challenge ever”.

Japan is also boosting military spending and is carrying out more joint exercises with other countries, including India, which has also deepened defence cooperation with Western nations.

In June, Kishida had said Japan would help train 800 maritime security personnel and provide at least $2 billion to other countries to buy patrol boats and build up infrastructure as part of the Free and Open Indo-Pacific (FOIP) strategy.

Kishida said on Monday that FOIP’s scope would expand to include new areas like climate change, cybersecurity and food security. It would also direct public and private capital worth $75 billion towards Indo-Pacific infrastructure by 2030.

Kishida’s visit came days after Modi hosted his Australian counterpart Anthony Albanese for talks that also covered worries about China.

Albanese, who is also forging closer ties with the United States and Britain under the separate so-called AUKUS alliance, is due to host all Quad leaders in May.

The Quad members deny hostile intentions and stress they are not a military alliance, but China has described the grouping as an attempt to “encircle” it.

The four countries will participate in the annual naval wargaming exercise Malabar to be held in Australia this year.

“We will conduct joint maritime exercises with India and the United States, as well as goodwill exercises with ASEAN and the Pacific Islands,” Kishida said.

“The kind of connectivity where you only rely on one country breeds political vulnerability,” Kishida said.

“We aim to increase the number of options each country has so that they can overcome these vulnerabilities and achieve further economic growth through connectivity,” he added.

Kishida had been expected to press Modi to take a tougher line on Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, which India - a major buyer of Russian arms and oil - has refused to condemn.

There are fears that China may begin providing military assistance to Russia - despite denials from Beijing - and Xi was in Russia for talks with his “old friend” president Vladimir Putin on Monday.

Kishida said there was a “lack of guiding perspective that is acceptable to all about what the international order should be.

“This was clearly demonstrated by the considerable discrepancies in the attitudes across various countries to Russia’s aggression against Ukraine,” he said in his speech.

“We want to stop the invasion by Russia as soon as possible. In order for that to happen, it’s important for the international community, including the so-called Global South, to show solidarity,” Kishida said when asked about his discussions with Modi.

“Giving voice to the priorities of the Global South is an important pillar of our G20 presidency,” Modi said after his talks with Kishida.

Japan, like many other nations, has imposed sanctions on Russia after the invasion.

Kishida added that he had invited Modi and the leaders of other countries in the region - including South Korea, Indonesia and Vietnam - as well as Brazil to a G7 summit in May.

India currently holds the rotating presidency of the Group of 20, which also includes China and Russia.

G20 meetings in India this year have failed to agree joint common statements on the war because of differences over the year-old Ukraine conflict.

Modi and Kishida also discussed deeper cooperation on clean energy, digital trade, and infrastructure.

In March 2022, in his first visit to India, Kishida said Japan would realise 5 trillion yen in public and private investment to India over the next five years.

(AFP, Reuters)

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less