Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Court rejects Nirav Modi's fresh bail plea

Modi, 52, lost his extradition battle to face fraud and money laundering charges in India

Court rejects Nirav Modi's fresh bail plea

FUGITIVE businessman Nirav Modi, who has been in prison in London for over five years, on Tuesday (7) had his new bail application rejected by a UK judge who ruled that he continued to pose a “substantial risk" of absconding justice.

Diamond merchant Modi, 52, lost his extradition battle to face fraud and money laundering charges in India, and did not appear for the bail hearing at Westminster Magistrates Court in London. However, his son and two daughters were present in the gallery.


District Judge John Zani accepted their legal team's submission that the long passage of time since the last bail application three and a half years ago constituted a change in circumstances to allow the hearing to go ahead.

“However, I am satisfied that there remain substantial grounds against bail. There continues to be a real, substantial risk that the applicant [Nirav Modi] would fail to attend court or interfere with witnesses,” concluded Judge Zani in his judgment after a short hearing. “This case involves, by any footing, a very substantial fraud allegation... not one where bail can be granted and the application is refused,” he said.

The court heard that while Modi had lost his legal fight against being extradited, there were “confidential” proceedings ongoing, initiated by him.

This would indicate an asylum application, but the only indirect reference made to it in court was when the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), appearing on behalf of the Indian authorities, dismissed the assertion that the Home Secretary may “never be able to order extradition” as incorrect.

“He has demonstrated his complete determination to not face the allegations in an Indian court and it is no exaggeration to say the fraud in question is over $1 billion, of which only $400 million has been seized. Therefore, he could still have access to significant resources in various jurisdictions,” CPS barrister Nicholas Hearn told the court.

A joint Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Enforcement Directorate (ED) team arrived from India for the hearing and followed the proceedings in court.

There are three sets of criminal proceedings against Modi in India – a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) case of fraud on the Punjab National Bank (PNB), another case relating to the alleged laundering of the proceeds of that fraud and a third set of criminal proceedings involving alleged interference with evidence and witnesses in the CBI proceedings.

He was arrested on an extradition warrant on March 19, 2019, and then Home Secretary Priti Patel ordered his extradition in April 2021. Modi has since exhausted his legal appeals in the case up to the Supreme Court and made six separate bail applications, offering up to £4m as security in his last attempt in October 2020.

His barrister Edward Fitzgerald told the court that Diamond Holdings, where he remains CEO, has since suffered losses due to the pandemic and global recession and is able to offer only £500,000. However, he offered several strict limits on liberty for the purpose of bail, including an electronic tag, connectivity by phone at all times and a ban on him applying for any form of travel documents.

"His detention has simply been too long for allegations of economic offences,” argued Fitzgerald, claiming that his client no longer posed any alleged threats of interfering with witnesses as there had been no such activity despite him having phone access in prison over the years.

He also pointed to the “well established” history of Modi's mental problems, including depression and suicide risk, which had deteriorated further due to incarceration first at Wandsworth prison, south-west London, and now at Thameside, south-east London.

The judge acknowledged that Fitzgerald had made the case “forcefully and fairly” and that Modi had not yet been convicted of any crime as that was a “matter for the Indian judicial system”.

However, he aligned with the CPS assertion that he was at the “epicentre” of the fraud allegations in which many of his co-defendants in India had been granted bail.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less