Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India ties up with UK universities to help develop 5G technologies

by LAUREN CODLING

UNIVERSITIES in the UK will collaborate with the Indian government to help develop 5G technologies, it was announced last week.


A number of Memorandum of Agreements (MoUs) were signed last Wednesday (20) at

the Indian High Commission by a representative from India’s Centre for Development

of Telematics (C-DOT) and representatives of three academic institutes in the UK.

The collaboration aims to explore the early development of 5G technology and support

the creation of the innovative network.

“With collaboration, we can do so much,” said Manoj Sinha, the Indian minister of communications. “Of course, it is a huge development. It will be transformative.”

It would be the next step up from the 4G telecom technologies, initially launched in the

UK and India in 2012.

The latest technology is thought to not only improve speeds for broadband users, it

is also expected to have a significant impact on transport, health, manufacturing, railways,

public safety and power.

The agreements now mean that C-DOT will get access to experts and labs on 5G and associated technologies in the UK universities.

UK institutions will additionally be able to take part in the current establishment of

5G testbeds, a piece of equipment used for testing new scientific theories, where India

can work together with the facilities in the UK.

Sinha said the Indian government was committed to ensuring it was on par with the

rest of the world in terms of technological developments.

“The signing of these agreements with premier academic institutions in the United Kingdom

is an important milestone for us,” Sinha said. “We expect this strong partnership

to produce accelerated outcomes that benefit both our great countries,” he added.

The agreements were signed by Vipin Tyagi, the executive director of C-DOT; Professor

Mischa Dohler, professor of wireless communications and head of the centre for telecommunications research at King’s College London; Professor Rahim Tafazolli, director and founder of the 5G innovation centre at the University of Surrey and the 5GUK project leader; and Professor Dimitra Simeonidou, director of the Smart Internet Lab at the University of Bristol and chief scientific officer for Bristol.

Others in attendance included the Indian high commissioner YK Sinha, and Liam

Maxwell, the UK’s national technology adviser.

In April, Britain announced a major tech partnership with India which paired businesses,

universities and others from different regions in the UK with states in the subcontinent.

Previously, the British digital secretary Matt Hancock said he hoped the “ambitious” partnership would bring together some of the best minds working in tech to “unlock its

future potential and deliver high-skilled jobs and economic growth in both countries”

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less