Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Indian-Americans back Supreme Court ruling on affirmative action

The Supreme Court last week struck down the race-conscious admissions programs

Indian-Americans back Supreme Court ruling on affirmative action

MANY Indian-Americans have voiced their support for the US Supreme Court ruling which struck down race based affirmative action policies in college admissions last week.

East and South Asian Americans have been at the forefront of activism against these policies as they see it as creating disadvantages for Asian American applicants, reported the Times of India.


The Supreme Court on Thursday (29) struck down the race-conscious admissions programs at Harvard University and the University of North Carolina, effectively prohibiting affirmative action policies long used to raise the number of black, Hispanic and other un-derrepresented minority students on American campuses.

In a historic decision that will force many colleges and universities to overhaul their admissions policies, the justices ruled that affirmative action admissions programs that consider an applicant’s race did violate the US Constitution’s promise of equal protection under the law.

Indian-Americans who support the ruling said that the ‘fight is not over yet’.

"No matter the controversy that it’s causing, it’ll help many Indian- Americans like myself," said Diya Patel, a New York resident with dreams of attending University of North Carolina.

"I always felt like I had to work twice as hard as my peers to get the same results. For years, I stressed about not being able to get into my dream school because of my heritage, which is a feeling no one should have."

"I wish this had happened when I was applying,’ says Zack Maini, who will attend Rutgers this fall. "When I was going through the process and would be considering a certain school, my grades would be good enough, my extracurriculars were good enough, but there was always this underlying thought that my race wasn’t good enough. I went through my whole life as a person of color, experiencing racism and prejudice in a majority white town."

Manga Anantatmula, who fought against discrimination against Asians in colleges and universities, has described the ruling as ‘historic’.

She stood strong alongside Edward Blum of Students for Fair Admissions (SFFA) and as a board member of Asian American Coalition for Education (AACE) since 2015 in the lawsuit against Asian discrimination.

Anantatmula relentlessly represented the Indian community in presenting discriminatory policies of Harvard University and the University of North Carolina to the Department of Education and the Trump Administration to bring justice to Asian students.

She thanked Blum and Yukong Zhao for roping her into this effort in 2015, ‘which was a turning point of my life fighting for the civil rights of Asians leading to this historic ruling against affirmative action in the admissions process.’

Anantatmula, who is a Republican and ran for the US Congress in 2020 from Virginia, said that affirmative action policies were ignored for several decades.

She added that ‘as the only Indian-American woman in the case, I still wonder why the Legacy admissions or the affirmative action for the privileged is untouched and still exists? It’s time for legacy admissions to be abolished and no more reservation for the privileged class’.

She pointed out that legacy admissions constitute 36 percent of the admissions.

According to her, the president favours other minority groups over Asians making it the darkest day for America and its constitution for not upholding equality of all races.

Meanwhile, vice president Kamala Harris tweeted that the decision is ‘a denial of opportunity’ and ‘a step backward' for our nation.

The National Federation of Indian American Associations (NFIA) was listed as Amicus Curiae along with Asian American organisations including the Global Organization of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO) in this campaign.

"The court decision rejecting affirmative action in the American colleges is timely and we at NFIA are naturally elated," said Raj Razdan, president of NFIA.

(with inputs from PTI)

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less