Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Indian bosses of UK’s defunct company accused of defrauding bank

Indian bosses of UK’s defunct company accused of defrauding bank

INDIA’S federal investigation agency is probing the directors of a UK-based defunct entertainment company for allegedly defrauding a bank in a historical case.

Molinare Limited which was into post-production services in the entertainment and media industry had secured a total loan of £18.5 million from the London branch of the Bank of India to upgrade its equipment and other needs since 2008.


However, the company defaulted on repayment and the loan account became a non-performing asset in 2012. The company went into liquidation and the bank managed to recover £1.78m by selling its assets.

India’s Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) booked cases against the company’s then managing director Prabodh Kumar Tewari and his sons Anand and Abhishek - all residents of Delhi - for “cheating” the bank.

The Tewaris allegedly presented “doctored invoices” that detailed non-existent business activity to secure the loans, The Times reported.

Century Communication Europe Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Century Communication Limited, had acquired a 76 per cent stake in Molinare Productions Limited which in turn held Molinare Limited as a step-down subsidiary. All the companies were controlled by the Tewaris.

Established in 1973, Molinare Limited produced the special effects for several big movies, including Tom Hooper's Oscar-winning British historical drama The King’s Speech.

According to legal documents the bank presented to the investigation agency, the company faced a liquidity crunch as work orders dried up and its capacity remained under-utilisation.

Molinare Limited and their promoters “wilfully diverted and siphoned off the bank’s loan for activities other than for which the loan was sanctioned”, the Bank of India is reported to have told the CBI.

Tewari, 71 and Anand, 49, had been previously arrested by the probe agency in 2012 for allegedly cheating several banks of £232 million, but they came out on bail, The Hindu reported.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less