Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India bank ordered to publish anonymous election bond data

The Supreme Court wants the State Bank of India to publish details of political donations made through electoral bonds by March 12 or face action

India bank ordered to publish anonymous election bond data

India's top court on Monday ordered the state-run bank to publish details of previously anonymous political donations made in the form of controversial electoral bonds - with the disclosures to be made before upcoming national polls.

Last month, the Supreme Court outlawed the scheme, under which individuals and companies could anonymously buy electoral bonds, saying it "infringes upon the right of information of the voter".


Electoral bonds have been a key method of political funding, allowing donors to give anonymously through certificates purchased from the State Bank of India (SBI).

Critics condemned the campaign financing method as an opaque way to funnel "black money" to parties, but supporters say it provides better regulation than cash donations, which are still legal.

The SBI had requested an extension on publishing the bond details until June 30 - by which time the general election would have been completed.

Nearly a billion people are eligible to cast ballots in the elections, likely to be held in April and May, with Prime Minister Narendra Modi widely expected to win a third term in power.

But Chief Justice Dhananjaya Yeshwant Chandrachud gave the SBI until March 12 to comply, warning if the bank failed to do so it risked being charged with "wilful disobedience".

The court also directed the Election Commission to publish the details shared by the bank on its official website on March 15.

The SBI had argued it needed more time to prepare the "complex" payment details, but the court said the information was "already available" within the bank.

Apart from the chief justice, the bench also included Justices Sanjiv Khanna, B R Gavai, J B Pardiwala, and Manoj Misra.

The initial court order on February 15 argued that information about political party funding was "essential for the effective exercise of the choice of voting".

It ruled that the SBI must submit details of each bond -- including who purchased it -- since April 2019 to the Electoral Commission, which must publish those details on its website by March 13.

In addition to concerns the scheme allowed huge anonymous donations to parties, critics also feared it gave the government the power to access donor details through the state-owned SBI.

Modi's party has previously defended electoral bonds, arguing the process is more transparent than direct cash donations because it is channelled through the banking system.

Cash donations are still allowed but carry no tax exemption.

Individuals and companies bought 165.18 billion rupees ($2 billion) of such bonds in total up to November 2023, according to the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR), a non-government civil society group. The group was a petitioner challenging the system.

There was no immediate reaction from the government or BJP to Monday's court order. BJP had on Feb. 15 said it was committed to reforming electoral funding and would abide by the court ruling scrapping the bonds.

"The Supreme Court's decision is a victory for transparency, accountability, and level playing field in democracy," Mallikarjun Kharge, president of the main opposition Congress party, posted on X.

"This judgment is a big step forward in ensuring transparency in political funding and particularly electoral funding," said Sitaram Yechury, leader of the Communist Party of India (Marxist). (Agencies)

More For You

Police Recover £1M Stolen Jewellery in Hounslow, Owners Sought

The jewellery was largely taken from London’s South Asian community in Hounslow between 2023 and 2024. (Photo: Met Police)

Stolen jewellery worth £1m recovered in Hounslow, police seek owners

POLICE are seeking to reunite stolen jewellery worth over £1 million with its rightful owners after recovering the items during a proactive operation across London and the home counties.

The recovered collection includes identifiable pieces such as a World War One officer’s Rolex watch, a gold locket containing old pictures, an engraved gold ring, and an engraved gold pocket watch from Harlow Bros Ltd.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-muslims

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

iStock)

Government announces fund to combat anti-Muslim hate

THE UK government has announced a new fund to monitor anti-Muslim hate and support victims, with applications opening on 7 April.

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

Keep ReadingShow less
Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

FILE PHOTO: Entrance of Manston short-term holding centre for migrants, near Ramsgate in southeast England. (Photo by BEN STANSALL/AFP via Getty Images)

Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

AUTHORITIES have launched an investigation following reports that a racist message was broadcast over portable radios at an asylum processing centre in Kent.

The incident occurred at the Manston site, where small boat arrivals are processed by the Home Office and its contractor, Mitie, reported The Guardian.

Keep ReadingShow less
Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

Sri Lankan animal rights activists take part in a demonstration in Colombo on April 3, 2025, to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Narendra Modi. (Photo by ISHARA S. KODIKARA/AFP via Getty Images)

Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

SRI LANKAN animal rights activists marched on Thursday (3) to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Indian prime minister Narendra Modi.

Authorities in Colombo and the Buddhist pilgrim city of Anuradhapura have reportedly deployed dog catchers to impound hounds ahead of Modi's visit, which begins on Friday (4).

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty

Donald Trump and Narendra Modi hold a joint press conference in the East Room at the White House on February 13, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Explained: Impact of US tariffs on Indian exports

The United States has announced a 27 per cent reciprocal tariff on Indian goods entering the American market.

Industry experts have said these duties will pose challenges for Indian exports, though India's position remains more favourable than some of its competitors.

Keep ReadingShow less