Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Indian state police seeks to visit British prisons

IN A bid to further strengthen the legal cases against fugitives Vijay Mallya and Nirav Modi, the Indian police is seeking to visit prisons in the UK.
The police officials want to study the conditions and structure of prisons in the UK.
The Maharashtra police has already written to the state government regarding the same, and the proposal is under consideration, India Today reported.
Embattled Indian business tycoons Mallya and Modi are currently in the UK and are facing extradition charges.
The business tycoons are wanted by the Indian probe agencies for legal proceedings in connection with alleged financial crimes committed in India.
The duo has complained about the condition of prisons in India to the UK court. Both Mallya and Modi have raised questions about the condition of Indian jails and their poor standards.
The Maharashtra police has asked permission to visit countries such as the UK, other European countries or Israel to learn about Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT) standards.
In 2017, India’s federal probe agency, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), had written to the Maharashtra state government asking to prepare prisons as per the CPT standards.
The team, if given permission to visit British prisons, will have officers from the Mumbai Police, jail, and home ministry.
During their visit to prisons in Britain and European countries, the Indian officials will study how economic offenders are being kept so that they can match the standards at Arthur Road jail in the country’s financial capital, Mumbai.
Barrack number 12 at Arthur Road jail has reportedly been kept for Mallya and Modi.
Meanwhile, Mallya's appeal in the UK High Court against his extradition order has been listed for a three-day hearing from February 11 next year.
Mallya is wanted in India for alleged fraud and money laundering charges amounting to £1 billion.
On the other hand, diamond merchant Modi is wanted in India in connection with the nearly $2bn (£1.63bn) Punjab National Bank fraud and money laundering case.
Modi is lodged at Wandsworth prison in London since his arrest this year on an extradition warrant executed by Scotland Yard on charges brought by the Indian government, being represented by the UK's Crown Prosecution Service.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less