Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Indian tycoon's estranged wife gets £60 million in divorce settlement

THE London High Court has awarded a £60 million divorce settlement to an interior designer following a “bitter break-up” with her multi-millionaire Indian businessman husband.

Simrin Choudhrie had fought a long legal battle with Bhanu Choudhrie, who had earlier tried to legally gag her from revealing “pillow talk” information after he got mired in a Rolls-Royce graft probe.


The couple used to live together in a £20-million, six-storey Belgravia home, until Bhanu sought divorce in 2017.

Simrin, who had featured on Channel 4’s The Secret Millionaire show, was represented by solicitor Baroness Fiona Shackleton, known for representing high-profile clients such as Sir Paul McCartney, Prince Charles, and Prince Andrew in their divorce cases.

Bhanu legal's team was led by solicitor Ayesha Vardag, known for her 2010 Supreme Court victory that bolstered the status of prenuptial agreements under English law.

According to reports, Simrin had initially demanded £100 million and a London residential property, but later agreed to a lumpsum settlement amount of about £60 million.

Bhanu, whose family empire is reportedly worth £1.6 billion, heads a private equity firm, C&C Alpha Group, based in Westminster.

Incidentally, his father, Sudhir Choudhrie, is said to have donated over £1.5 million to the Liberal Democrats.

In 2014, the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) had grilled the father and son in an investigation into alleged kickbacks paid Rolls-Royce to bag an Indian defence contract.

They, however, denied wrongdoings, and were not charged. The SFO later dropped the investigations after Rolls-Royce paid a fine of £671 million.

In 2018, Bhanu had moved the High Court – in what came to called the “pillow talk” lawsuit – to prevent Simrin from spilling out “confidential details about the SFO investigation and his business associates”.

Bhanu wanted an assurance from Simrin that she would not reveal to anyone details of the case that he had discussed with her so that she could “understand what he was going through”.

The lawsuit, however, was struck out after Simrin said the “pillow talk” details would remain confidential.

More For You

Metropolitan Police

The Met said it would not be making redundancies but would achieve savings by reducing recruitment and not replacing those who leave.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Met Police to cut 1,700 jobs amid £260m budget shortfall

THE METROPOLITAN POLICE has announced plans to cut 1,700 officers, PCSOs, and staff due to a £260 million budget deficit.

The force will also scale back several services, including the removal of the Royal Parks Police team and officers stationed in schools.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less
India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

The country can expect more heatwave days this year

India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

INDIA can expect hotter-thanusual temperatures this summer with more heatwave days taking a toll on lives and livelihoods, the weather office warned.

The country is no stranger to scorching summers, but years of scientific research has found climate change is causing heatwaves to become longer, more frequent and more intense.

Keep ReadingShow less
Tower Hamlets secures funding to save domestic abuse support jobs

The planned strike action was called off after the external funding was secured

Tower Hamlets secures funding to save domestic abuse support jobs

Ruby Gregory

REDUNDANCY proposals which would have seen job cuts made to a ‘crucial’ domestic abuse support service in Tower Hamlets have been called off.

Solace Women’s Aid, which planned to make cuts, confirmed last Friday (28) the redundancies were no longer going ahead, following a boost in external funding which followed a threat of strike action.

Keep ReadingShow less
Report reveals Birmingham’s doctors face racism and bullying
Absences have risen at the Queen Elizabeth and Heartlands Hospitals in Birmingham, as well as Good Hope in Sutton and Solihull Hospital

Report reveals Birmingham’s doctors face racism and bullying

Gurdip Thandi

YOUNG doctors in Birmingham hospitals face a ‘shocking’ number of incidents of bullying, racism and sexism from patients and other staff.

The Medical Academy Annual Report was presented to a University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust board meeting, which revealed the data.

Keep ReadingShow less