Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India's Adani Could Win Carmichael Mine Approval Within Two Years: Queensland Official

INDIA'S Adani Enterprises could theoretically win environmental approval for construction of the Carmichael coal mine in Australia in the next two years, a Queensland state resources official said, despite opposition from activists concerned about its impact on the Great Barrier Reef.

The firm, which plans to start producing around 10 million tonnes of coal a year and eventually ramp up to 27.5 million tonnes, has been at loggerheads with environmental activists in the eight years since the project was first proposed.


The comment on potential approval came in an interview with Caoilin Chestnutt, Queensland's Resources Investment Commissioner, on the sidelines of the Coaltrans conference in New Delhi late yesterday (20). Her agency is not responsible for issuing environmental approvals for the project, which is regulated by Queensland's department for environment and science.

Chestnutt said that she believed environmental clearance for the project could in theory be given in the next several months. Carmichael is one of the world's biggest greenfield coal projects in recent years.

"I would guess, but it is an absolute mess, six months to two years," she said. "They (department of environment) have said they (Adani) have to go back to the drawing board and draft a management plan."

The Queensland department for environment and science has said two approvals were required, one relating to a plan to protect an endangered bird species, the black-throated finch, and another to identify the source aquifer of ground water in the area.

Chestnutt said protests against the mine were a "hindrance" and that there was a lot of misinformation about the mine that needed to be challenged.

Asked what she considered "misinformation", she said, "I think people just think that coal is dirty and global warming is a major issue, and people just like to blame the coal business for that, carbon dioxide for that."

A spokesman for Adani said the firm expected to move faster on the project in future.

"We have provided all required information data and feedback needed for this process to be completed and accordingly we expect to have these plans approved in the very near term," the spokesman said.

The company last week slammed a report on the endangered bird which was reviewed by the Queensland government, calling it "an anti-Adani lobbying document, dressed up as science," and said they wanted to advance their project.

(Reuters)

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less