Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India's auto parts businesses may axe one million jobs if slowdown continues

AUTO parts businesses in India may be forced to axe one million jobs if a slowdown in vehicle sales continues, the president of Automotive Component Manufacturers Association of India (ACMA) said on late Wednesday (24).

Country’s automotive industry is under a turbulent condition in recent months after vehicle retail sales fell 18.4 per cent in the first quarter, and monthly passenger vehicle sales in June fell by the biggest margin in nearly two decades.


A decline in demand for vehicles amid weak economic growth has prompted the vehicle producers and auto parts makers to reduce production and cut jobs.

Speaking on the need for urgent government intervention to kick-start a long-term growth cycle for the auto and auto component industry, Ram Venkataramani, president, ACMA said: “The automotive industry is facing an unprecedented slowdown. The vehicle sales in all segments have continued to plummet for the last several months.

“Considering the auto component industry grows on the back of the vehicle industry, a current 15 to 20 per cent cut in vehicle production has led to a crisis like situation in the auto component sector. If the trend continues, an estimated ten-lakh people (one million people) could be laid-off.”

Venkataramani noted investments in the auto sector have been frozen due to a lack of government clarity on its electric vehicles (EVs) policy.

He said a government plan to speed up the rollout of EVs would raise India’s import bill and damage prospects for auto components manufacturers.

“Any further changes in targets for the rollout of electric vehicles would increase India’s import bill and damage the current robust auto components manufacturing ecosystem. This will also result in significant job losses…”.

India’s automotive component industry that contributes 2.3 per cent to country’s GDP, 25 per cent to its manufacturing GDP and provides employment to five million people, stood at $57 billion for the year 2018-19, registering a growth of 14.5 per cent over the previous year.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less