Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India's TCS announces $2.18b share buyback

INDIA's largest software exporter Tata Consultancy Services(TCS), a Tata Group company, announced a $2.18 billion share buyback plan on Wednesday(7).

The country's second-most valuable firm by market size said net profit slumped by 7.1 per cent to $1.02 billion for the July-September quarter compared to the previous corresponding period.


According to the company, the fall in profit is mainly due to the financial fallout from the coronavirus pandemic and a legal case in the US.

The company said it had also set aside $166m under exceptional items for damages for a US litigation.

"The strong order book, a very robust deal pipeline, and continued market share gains give us confidence for the future," TCS chief executive Rajesh Gopinathan said in a statement.

Analysts said the share buyback was due to the ongoing legal tussle between its parent company Tata Sons and one of their oldest shareholders, The Shapoorji Pallonji Group.

The group has a 18.4 per cent stake in Tata Sons but has indicated it wants to pull out of the salt-to-steel behemoth.

TCS was at the forefront of an IT boom that saw the country become a back office to the world as firms in developed nations subcontracted work, taking advantage of a skilled English-speaking workforce.

TCS earns more than 80 per cent of its revenues from Western markets including Britain, the US and Europe.

But the Covid-19 pandemic has battered demand for the firm's services in the financial and banking sectors.

Shares of TCS closed almost one per cent higher on the Bombay Stock Exchange Sensex Index in Mumbai ahead of the results being released.

Smaller rival Wipro Ltd has also said its board would consider a share buyback at a scheduled meeting on October 13.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less