Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Investigators Focus on Foreign Properties Worth £10.47 Million of Indian Jeweller Nirav Modi

India’s law enforcement and economic intelligence agency, Enforcement Directorate (ED) is planning to attach foreign assets worth one billion rupees (£10.47 million) of absconding Indian jeweller, Nirav Modi.

The move came in connection with alleged £1.54bn Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud case, said CNBC TV 18 in its report quoting the sources close to the development. According to the news report, the attachments of the properties in Dubai and Hong Kong will be done within next week by the ED officials.


"We have already identified these properties. The information came to us after both the countries responded on the letter rogatory sent by us", CNBC TV 18 quoted as one of the sources say.

"These are mostly consignments sent by Nirav Modi in these countries and also some properties which have been attached", the source mentioned above noted.

As of now, the investigation agency, ED has attachments worth of around Rs 45bn combined in the case of Nirav Modi and his close relative Mehul Choksi. According to the ED, by the end of November 2018, it will add more assets of Modi to its attachment list.

The ED has started gathering information about movable, immovable properties including consignments of jewellery in foreign countries owned by Modi.

Following a request by the ED to declare Modi and Choski as fugitive offenders, an Indian court has given time to both Modi and Choksi to present themselves before the judge latest by October 26. If they fail to present before the court, they can be declared as fugitive offenders and their properties and other attachments will be confiscated by the government.

Modi and others are being investigated by Indian investigators under various criminal laws after the fraud at PNB came to light in 2018 following a complaint filed by PNB. The PNB in its complaint alleged that Modi and others cheated the lender to the tune of over Rs 130bn, with the intended involvement of some of its employees.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less