Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Ivan Menezes, Diageo’s Indian-origin CEO, passes away

He was behind Johnnie Walker's iconic campaign ‘Keep Walking’

Ivan Menezes, Diageo’s Indian-origin CEO, passes away

SIR IVAN MENEZES, alcoholic drinks giant Diageo’s long-serving Indian-origin chief executive, has passed after surgery on a stomach ulcer. He was 63.

His death came on Monday (5) with his family at his side, the maker of Johnnie Walker whisky and Smirnoff vodka said in a statement, crediting him for shaping Diageo into one of the “most trusted and respected consumer companies.”


He was responsible for developing Johnnie Walker’s iconic campaign ‘Keep Walking’.

“This is an incredibly sad day,” the company’s chairman Javier Ferrán, said, adding he was “undoubtedly one of the finest leaders of his generation.”

Sir Ivan was due to depart from Diageo on June 30, having served the company as its CEO since 2013.

Born in the western Indian city of Pune on 10 July 1959, he held UK and US citizenship and India’s overseas citizenship.

Having previously been the strategy director for Guinness plc, he joined Diageo at its creation in 1997 and held many senior positions in a career spanning over 25 years at the British company.

He became Diageo’s chief operating officer and subsequently oversaw its operations in the Americas and the Asia Pacific.

Sir Ivan was appointed as the company’s executive director in 2012 and served as the CEO from July 2013 till this week.

Now selling over 200 brands in more than 180 markets, Diageo is the number one company by net sales value in Scotch whisky, vodka, gin, rum, Canadian whisky, liqueurs, and also tequila1.

Diageo produced more than 10 million bottles of hand sanitiser for healthcare workers around the world, including the NHS, during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Sir Ivan announced the $100 million “Raising the Bar” programme to help pubs and bars around the world reopen their doors safely after lockdowns, providing sanitation, PPE, equipment for safer outdoor socialising spaces and staff training.

Before his career with Diageo, the alumnus of the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad and Kellogg School of Management worked for Whirlpool in Europe, Booz Allen & Hamilton in North America and Nestlé in Asia.

He was awarded a Knighthood in January 2023 for services to business and equality.

Sir Ivan is survived by his wife, Shibani and his two children - Nikhil and Rohini.

Diageo's former chief operating officer Debra Crew was appointed interim chief executive at the start of this week. She had been due to take over as CEO on a permanent basis from next month following Sir Ivan’s planned retirement.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less