Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Jaguar Land Rover May Axe Thousands Of UK Jobs

Tata Motors owned UK’s largest car producer, Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) is on its way to make an announcement to axe thousands of jobs as the auto giant faces significant fall in demand in China and a decline in diesel car sale in Europe, media reports said on Thursday (10).

The auto firm has prepared plans to reduce costs and raise cash flows by £2.5 billion. The plans include reducing employment costs and levels, Reuters reported citing a source who disclosed the plans on condition of anonymity.


There may be substantial job losses impacting managerial, sales, design, and other departments. However, the production-line staff will not be affected at this stage.

The firm produces a major proportion of its cars in Britain than any other major or medium sized car company. The automaker has also spent millions of pounds to prepare for Brexit, in the case of there are tariffs.

The automaker swung to a loss of £354 million during April to September period and had cut around 1000 roles in the UK in 2018. The firm had shut its Solihull plant for 14 days and announced a three-day week at its Castle Bromwich site.

JLR which has a staff strength of 40, 000 in the UK and had been adding new employees to its workforce at new plants in China and Slovakia in recent years.

Sales in China during July and September fell by 44 per cent, the biggest fall for the automaker.

Diesel accounts for 90 per cent of the firm's British sales and 45 per cent of global demand, the company said last year, as demand in the segment tumbles following new levies in the wake of the 2015 Volkswagen emissions cheating scandal.

Diesel accounts for 90 per cent of the automaker’s sales in Britain and 45 per cent of world demand, according to the company.

Akin other auto manufacturers, the JLR could see its three British car plans grind to a halt within 80 days if lawmakers reject a deal by British prime minister Theresa May next week, leading to tariffs and customs checks after a no-deal outcome.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less