Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Jaguar Land Rover plans new UK investment

INDIA’S Tata owned Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) is on its way to invest a huge sum in advanced manufacturing in the UK. 

Quoting the sources close to the auto giant and the UK government, BBC reported that new investment in Britain was imminent.  


JLR is expected to make a formal announcement on its new investment later this month, the broadcaster added

The British government hopes that the new investment will confirm the UK still has a major role to play in JLR’s move to electric vehicles despite some existing model production being moved to Slovakia.

Earlier this year, JLR unveiled its strategy to axe 4,500 jobs in the next 24 months amid declining demand for diesel engines which presently power 90 per cent of its range. 

The company has also witnessed a fall in demand for cars in China, its most profitable market. 

The auto maker has also plans to pump hundreds of millions pounds into the UK plants as part of its strategy to electrify its range of cars.

JLR chief executive Ralf Speth has recently stated that by 2020 all of its vehicle models will be available with some form of electric power.

The new investment will move into building a new battery assembly plant at Hams Hall, near Birmingham, and setting up its existing engine plant in Wolverhampton to make electric drive systems.

As part of its future strategy, JLR wants the Hams Hall plant to be operational and to be producing its own electric vehicles by 2020.

Further investment is expected to come with the preparation for a revamped Range Rover at Solihull, after JLR shifted its Discovery model production from the plant to its new site in Slovakia in 2018.

Ian Henry of AutoAnalysis said: “Putting a figure on how much JLR is going to spend is almost impossible without knowing the detail. However, as a comparison Toyota just spent £240m into retooling its UK plant so it could make the Corolla - a smaller and less complex car. I’d expect investment for an all-new Range Rover, for example, to be a lot higher.”

The UK auto industry is expected to get a big push from the upcoming latest investment when the British auto industry has been in a series of bad news in recent days. 

The auto maker has also taken steps to strengthen its relations with its dealer network in China as part of its efforts to expand and strengthen its auto business further. 

According to the UK’s Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) the sales of UK manufactured cars declined 72 per cent in the last month when compared to the same period last year but sources at JLR said there were "green shoots of recovery" in the Chinese car market.  

More For You

Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less
Airbus bets on Indian supply
base to scale up production

Guillaume Faury

Airbus bets on Indian supply base to scale up production

AIRCRAFT maker Airbus plans to significantly ramp up its annual sourcing of components and services from India to reach $2 billion (£1.54bn) by 2030, its CEO Guillaume Faury has said.

Describing India as one of the most important markets for Airbus in terms of growth, Faury said the challenge for the aircraft maker is to support the speed of the growth of the aviation industry in India.

Keep ReadingShow less
nintendo switch 2

The new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations

Getty

Nintendo unveils Switch 2 - A new era for hybrid gaming begins

After months of speculation and cryptic teaser campaigns, Nintendo has officially announced the highly anticipated successor to its bestselling hybrid console. The Nintendo Switch 2 is set to launch on 5 June, with a price tag of £395.99 for the base package and £429.99 for a bundle including Mario Kart World. With a range of hardware improvements, redesigned controllers, and an exciting lineup of games, the new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations.

A Bigger, Sharper Display and 4K Support

One of the most noticeable upgrades in the Nintendo Switch 2 is its display. The console now features a larger 7.9-inch screen, boasting twice the pixel count of the original Switch and supporting full 1080p resolution. Additionally, the display is capable of up to 120 frames per second, ensuring smoother animations, while high dynamic range (HDR) enhances colour contrast for a richer visual experience. Despite these improvements, the Switch 2 maintains the same thickness as the original model, preserving its signature portable form factor.

Keep ReadingShow less
‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less