Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Jaswant Singh Chail who wanted to 'kill' late queen with crossbow admits treason

Jaswant who identified himself as an “Indian Sikh�, wanted to kill the late monarch as revenge for the 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre in Amritsar in a social media video that emerged soon after his arrest.

Jaswant Singh Chail who wanted to 'kill' late queen with crossbow admits treason

A British Sikh man who wanted to “assassinate” Queen Elizabeth II on Christmas Day in 2021 and was caught on the grounds of Windsor Castle armed with a crossbow has admitted to committing treason.

Jaswant Singh Chail, who identified himself as an “Indian Sikh”, wanted to kill the late monarch as revenge for the 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre in Amritsar in a social media video that emerged soon after his arrest.

On Friday, Chail admitted to an offence under the United Kingdom’s Treason Act at the Old Bailey court in London.

The British Sikh man, who is being held at Broadmoor Hospital from where he appeared in court via video link, will be sentenced by the court on March 31.

"This was an extremely serious incident, but one which the patrolling officers who apprehended Chail managed with great composure and professionalism,” said Commander Richard Smith, who heads the Metropolitan Police’s Counter Terrorism Command which led the investigation into the case.

“They showed tremendous bravery to confront a masked man who was armed with a loaded crossbow, and then detain him without anyone coming to harm,” he said.

The 21-year-old pleaded guilty to an offence under section 2 of the Treason Act, 1842; an offence of threats to kill contrary to section 16 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861; and an offence of possession of an offensive weapon contrary to section 1 of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953.

“He had made a video of himself stating his desire to harm the late Queen, which he sent to a group of contacts shortly before he was arrested,” the Met Police statement said.

“Further enquiries into Chail uncovered evidence of his planning and motives. Evidence recovered by officers showed that he harboured ill feelings towards the British Empire for its past treatment of Indian people,” it said.

The Queen, who passed away in September last year at the age of 96, was in her private apartments at Windsor Castle at the time of Chail's intrusion on the morning of December 25, 2021.

Two officers saw the intruder within the grounds of the Castle and one approached him.

According to the Met Police, he was wearing black clothing and a metal mask and said to the officers he was there to kill the Queen.

Chail was carrying a crossbow loaded with a bolt, and the officers drew their Taser guns and arrested him.

Detectives of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command took primacy for the investigation and trawled through CCTV and made other enquiries and found that Chail, from Southampton in Hampshire, had travelled to Windsor in Berkshire on December 23, 2021.

He was reportedly carrying a handwritten note, which read: "Please don't remove my clothes, shoes and gloves, masks etc, don't want a post-mortem, don't want embalming, thank you and I'm sorry."

Chail was charged by the Met Police with treason offences in August last year.

He was previously held under the Mental Health Act and his father, Jasbir Chail, 58, said in the days after the incident that his son needed help after he scaled the walls of the Castle.

(PTI)

More For You

british-muslims-iStock

The study noted that this identification was not due to any doctrinal obligation but was influenced by the perception that many Muslims do not feel fully accepted as British. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Majority of British Muslims identify by faith first, study finds

A STUDY by the Institute for the Impact of Faith in Life (IIFL) has found that most British Muslims identify primarily with their religion rather than their nationality.

The research, based on a survey of 815 British Muslim adults by Whitestone Insight, revealed that 71 per cent of respondents identified as Muslim first, while 27 per cent identified as British, English, or Scottish first.

Keep ReadingShow less
Car Tax Changes: EV Owners Now Required to Pay for the First Time

Owners of electric vehicles registered on or after 1 April 2025 will pay £10 for the first year, followed by the standard VED rate of £195 from the second year. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Car tax changes take effect: EV owners to pay for first time

FROM today, 1 April 2025, electric cars, vans, and motorcycles in the UK will be subject to Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for the first time.

The change, introduced in the 2022 Autumn Statement by former Conservative Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, aims to make motoring taxation fairer.

Keep ReadingShow less
scotland-minimum-wages-iStock

Full-time workers on the National Living Wage will receive an annual pay increase of £1,400 in real terms. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Wage increase takes effect for thousands of workers in Scotland

HUNDREDS of thousands of workers in Scotland will see a pay increase as new National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage rates take effect from Tuesday.

The changes will benefit approximately 220,000 people, according to STV News.

Keep ReadingShow less
uk-energy-bill-iStock

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

April bill increases put financial strain on single parents

A RANGE of essential household bills are increasing from April, with Citizens Advice warning that single parents will be among the hardest hit.

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased, BBC reported.

Keep ReadingShow less
Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools
Stephen Graham and Owen Cooper in 'Adolescence'
Netflix

Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools

THE NETFLIX drama Adolescence will be shown in UK secondary schools as part of efforts to address harmful online influences on young boys, officials announced on Monday.

The show has sparked debate over the impact of toxic and misogynistic content on the internet. Prime minister Keir Starmer met the show's creators, charities, and young people at Downing Street, calling the initiative an important step in starting discussions about the content teenagers are exposed to online.

Keep ReadingShow less