Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Johnson considering extra bank holiday if England wins EURO 2020

Johnson considering extra bank holiday if England wins EURO 2020

UK prime minister Boris Johnson may call an extra bank holiday if England wins Sunday’s football final at Wembley.

According to the reports, ministers are discussing the possibility of a bank holiday on Monday (12), the day after the final, if England wins. 


On being asked whether he will declare Monday a bank holiday in the event of an England win, Johnson said: “I think that would be tempting fate; let’s see what happens.”

Not ruling out altogether the possibility of the holiday, Johnson’s spokesperson added that “clearly we want England to go all the way and win the final, and then we will set out our plans in due course”.

However, Downing Street sources suggested the timing of the match meant it will be much too late to give fans an emergency day off next Monday – but other options were being considered.

Either way, government officials think there should be a “national day of celebration” if Harry Kane and team co-lift the trophy. There are also reports of manager Gareth Southgate and players such as Raheem Sterling being in line for knighthoods, regardless of the result.

The government confirmed earlier this week that licensing laws will be relaxed to allow pubs to stay open until 11.15pm in case the game goes to extra-time and penalties.

Now that the England-Italy final will be held in front of a 60,000-strong crowd – the same as Wednesday’s semi-final, questions are being raised about the safety of allowing so many fans to watch the match in person during a pandemic. 

Since seven earlier matches in the tournament were held as part of the government’s events research programme, set up to test the safety of mass gatherings, shadow sports minister, Alison McGovern, has called on the government saying data about the safety of these matches should be produced before Sunday (11).

“If they have the data they should publish it, and if they don’t have it, they should say why,” she said.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less