Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Johnson safe for now, but future in jeopardy over 'partygate'

Johnson safe for now, but future in jeopardy over 'partygate'

BRITISH prime minister Boris Johnson will probably hold onto his job for now despite a scathing report about government coronavirus lockdown parties, but his long-term future is out of his hands as police probe claims of rule breaking, analysts said on Tuesday (1).

Johnson on Monday (31) apologised after his government was criticised for "failures of leadership and judgment" in allowing parties at his offices while the rest of the country followed strict curbs.

His position has been hanging by a thread because of the steady drip of revelations since late last year, leading to an increasingly mutinous mood among his MPs.

Senior civil servant Sue Gray published her report about the claims on Monday (31), but it is only a watered-down version as she has handed potential evidence - including 300 photographs - on the most serious accusations for police to investigate.


Also Read | 'Boris Johnson has lost the support of his party'


However, Scotland Yard said it will not reveal the names of any staff who receive fixed penalty notices, raising questions about whether the public will ever know if Johnson was fined.

Johnson did on Tuesday (1) say that "we'll publish everything that we can as soon as the process has been completed", when asked if he would release the full report and the photographs.

The police probe has allowed Johnson some breathing space, but "given how much is being investigated by the police, that is going to hurt him very hard," Simon Usherwood, political and international studies professor at the Open University, told AFP.

"He's probably safe for the next short period of time but I think yesterday has really highlighted that it's very much out of his hands at this point," he added.

The timeline "is probably weeks rather then months", he added.

'Mark of shame'

Despite being limited in what she could say, Gray still managed a stinging rebuke to the prime minister's authority, contrasting government officials' behaviour with the sacrifices made by the public during the pandemic.

Gray said "too little thought" had been given about how appropriate boozy events were and would be seen as inconsiderate by others who stuck to the rules, unable to comfort sick and dying loved ones with Covid.

"Some of the events should not have been allowed to take place. Other events should not have been allowed to develop as they did," she added.

Opposition Labour leader Keir Starmer said the fact that 12 of the 16 parties, including one in Johnson's own flat, were subject to a police probe was "a mark of shame".

Anand Menon, European politics and foreign affairs professor at King's College London, said Johnson was "slightly more in jeopardy" than before the report was published.

However, he said the lack of any obvious candidates for MPs to coalesce around was helping the prime minister.

"I think one of the reasons why he's still there is precisely because his MPs are unconvinced by any of the alternatives.

"Boris Johnson created quite a unique electoral coalition.

"There is a recognition in the parliamentary party that it takes someone as ideologically ambiguous as Johnson to hold that coalition together, because he's unique in the fact that he can appeal to red-wall voters (in former Labour strongholds), and he can appeal to traditional Tories.

"That's not obviously the case with any of his potential successors," he added.

'Hesitation to act'

Johnson could quit if he "gets a whiff" that police have got damaging evidence, but it would be more likely that he is deposed by his own MPs, said Menon.

For this to happen, 54 of them would have to send letters of no confidence to trigger a vote.

More than half of the party's 359 MPs would then have to vote him out of office, triggering a leadership campaign.

But this process can only occur once within a 12-month period, another factor that rebellious MPs need to take into account.

"I think for a lot of MPs, they probably think he should go but are not sure that now is quite the right time to move. So there's a very strong sort of hesitation to act," said Menon.

Some, he said, are still waiting for the police report and others waiting for the results of local elections.

The police force is investigating a cocktail party in May 2020 in the Downing Street garden, as well as Christmas celebrations and a drink-fuelled get-together the evening before Prince Philip's funeral.

Staff reportedly brought a suitcase filled with alcohol and danced until the small hours.

Queen Elizabeth II was subsequently pictured at the funeral, sitting alone in the chapel at Windsor Castle as she mourned her husband of 73 years.

Downing Street later apologised to the monarch.

(AFP)

More For You

Russell brand

Sexual offences said to have taken place between 1999 and 2005

Getty

Russell Brand faces rape and sexual assault charges involving 4 women

Russell Brand has been formally charged with a series of sexual offences said to have taken place between 1999 and 2005. The comedian and actor faces allegations from four separate women, with the charges including rape, indecent assault, oral rape and further counts of sexual assault.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed on Friday that Brand has been informed of the charges. A statement from the force said he is to be charged with one count of rape in the Bournemouth area in 1999, one count of indecent assault in Westminster in 2001, one count of oral rape and an additional sexual assault in Westminster in 2004, and a further count of sexual assault in Westminster between 2004 and 2005.

Keep ReadingShow less
indian-parliament

In the Rajya Sabha, 128 members voted in favour, and 95 opposed it. In the Lok Sabha, 288 MPs supported the bill, while 232 voted against it.

Gatty images

Indian parliament passes the controversial Waqf (Amendment) Bill

INDIAN parliament has passed a controversial bill seeking to change the way Muslim charitable properties, known as waqf, are managed.

The bill was cleared after hours of heated debate, with the government saying it would bring transparency and the opposition alleging that it targets the Muslim community.

Keep ReadingShow less
Blood donor recruitment event for South Asian community

FILE PHOTO: A nurse prepares a man for a blood donation in London, England. (Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)

Blood donor recruitment event for South Asian community

THE NHS is holding a blood donor recruitment event at Shepherd's Bush blood donor centre on Saturday (5) to attract South Asian donors to help treat health conditions affecting their community.

South Asian donors are needed to treat thalassemia, an inherited blood disorder which affects people of Mediterranean, south Asian, southeast Asian and Middle Eastern origin. People with thalassemia produce too little or no haemoglobin, causing anaemia, fatigue, breathing issues and other symptoms.

Keep ReadingShow less
Modi Yunus

The meeting took place on the sidelines of a regional summit in Thailand. (Photo: X/@ChiefAdviserGoB)

Modi meets Yunus for first talks since Hasina's exit

INDIAN prime minister Narendra Modi held talks with Bangladesh's interim leader Muhammad Yunus in Bangkok on Friday.

This was their first meeting since former Bangladeshi prime minister Sheikh Hasina was removed from office in 2024.

Keep ReadingShow less
US tourist arrested for entering North Sentinel Island

Authorities continue to investigate Polyakov’s actions

Youtube/ Neo-Orientalist

US tourist arrested for entering North Sentinel Island, home to Andaman tribe with no outside contact

Indian police have arrested a 24-year-old American tourist, Mykhailo Viktorovych Polyakov, for illegally entering North Sentinel Island, one of the most protected and isolated regions in the world. The remote island, part of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal, is home to the Sentinelese tribe, who reject all contact with outsiders and are safeguarded by Indian law.

Polyakov reportedly attempted to make contact with the Sentinelese by offering a coconut and a can of Diet Coke. He used a motorised inflatable boat to reach North Sentinel Island, where he spent a few minutes onshore before returning to his vessel. Authorities confirmed that he collected sand samples and filmed his brief landing using a GoPro camera.

Keep ReadingShow less