Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Johnson under fire over 'bring your own booze' lockdown party

Johnson under fire over 'bring your own booze' lockdown party

British prime minister Boris Johnson was under fire on Tuesday after it emerged his private secretary had invited over 100 people to a "bring your own booze" party in the garden of Downing Street during the first coronavirus lockdown.

Johnson, who won a landslide victory in a 2019 election, has faced intense scrutiny over the past month after a video emerged showing his staff laughing and joking about a Downing Street party during a 2020 Christmas lockdown.


Revelations about a series of parties in Downing Street have garnered popular derision and drawn criticism from opposition Labour Party leader Keir Starmer, who said Johnson lacked the moral authority to lead the country.

Johnson and his partner Carrie were among those who gathered with about 40 staff in the garden of Downing Street on May 20, 2020, after the prime minister's principal private secretary Martin Reynolds sent an invite by email, ITV reported.

Britain's main opposition Labour Party leader Keir Britain's main opposition Labour Party leader Keir Starmer (L) and Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson (R) attend the Remembrance Sunday ceremony at the Cenotaph on Whitehall in central London, on November 14, 2021. (Photo by JUSTIN TALLIS/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

"After what has been an incredibly busy period we thought it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks in the No10 garden this evening," Reynolds said in the email.

"Please join us from 6pm and bring your own booze!"

At the time of the gathering, schools were shut to most pupils, and pubs and restaurants were closed, with strict controls on social mixing. People were prevented from bidding farewell in person to dying relatives.

Police prosecuted people for having parties, erected random checkpoints in some areas and in Derbyshire, central England, used drones to monitor beauty spots.

The United Kingdom's death toll from the COVID-19 pandemic stands at 150,154, the world's seventh worst official COVID toll after the United States, Brazil, India, Russia, Mexico and Peru.

Johnson's office declined to comment on the ITV report. A senior government official, Sue Gray, is currently investigating the allegations of at least five parties held in government departments last year during lockdown restrictions.

LOCKDOWN PARTIES

Asked about the claims of Downing Street parties, Johnson told parliament last month that all COVID guidance had been followed, no rules had been broken and that there had been no party in Downing Street.

Political opponents said that if Johnson had attended a party during a lockdown, his position would be danger as such revelry would show a pattern of disdain for the rules by Johnson.

"This feels like it is part of the prime minister's character which is: he thinks he can get away with things and he is sending the message out all around his government that the rules don't apply to us, they only apply to everybody else," said Ed Miliband, a former Labour Party leader.

Former Scottish Conservative Party leader Ruth Davidson questioned what people in Downing Street were thinking and said voters would be angry.

"People are (rightly) furious," Davidson said on Twitter. "They sacrificed so much - visiting sick or grieving relatives, funerals."

Over recent months, Johnson, 57, has faced criticism over his handling of a sleaze scandal, the awarding of lucrative COVID contracts, the refurbishment of his Downing Street flat and a claim he intervened to ensure pets were evacuated from Kabul during the Western withdrawal in August.

Edward Argar, a junior health minister, said he understood the hurt that the reports about the parties would cause, particularly for people who had lost family and friends.

But he told Sky News it would be inappropriate for him to comment while the investigation was underway.

London police, who previously declined to investigate the claims of government officials' lockdown gatherings, said on Monday it was in contact with the Cabinet Office over the alleged breaches of health protection laws in Downing Street.

More For You

india-sri-lanka-deals

A new five-year defence cooperation agreement includes provisions for training Sri Lankan military personnel in India, along with information and technology sharing. (Photo: X/@narendramodi)

Modi signs defence and energy deals during Sri Lanka visit

INDIA and Sri Lanka signed defence and energy agreements on Saturday during prime minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Colombo, aimed at strengthening ties between the two neighbours.

The agreements come amid New Delhi’s concerns over China’s growing influence in the region.

Keep ReadingShow less
Did Obama Really Weaken the Democratic Party? A New Book Reveals

Fight: Inside the Wildest Battle for the White House offers a detailed narrative

Getty

New book claims Obama ‘destroyed’ Democratic Party during and after presidency

A newly published political book has revealed fresh details about former President Barack Obama's complicated relationship with the Democratic Party, portraying him as a figure who weakened the party’s infrastructure during and after his time in office.

The book, Fight: Inside the Wildest Battle for the White House, authored by political journalists Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes, claims that Obama was never a strong loyalist to the Democratic Party. According to the authors, rather than relying on the traditional Democratic Party structure, Obama built his political base by fostering a network of Black professionals to support his campaigns, differentiating him from figures such as former President Bill Clinton, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and current President Joe Biden.

Keep ReadingShow less
TCS-Reuters

TCS has denied all allegations. (Photo: Reuters)

TCS denies age and nationality bias in UK redundancy case

A UK employment tribunal has heard claims that Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) unfairly targeted older, non-Indian nationals during a redundancy programme in 2023.

According to The Guardian, three former employees allege that TCS, a Mumbai-based IT outsourcing firm, discriminated against them on grounds of age and nationality as part of a restructuring process.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sadiq Khan

Khan will be given 'call-in' powers to review decisions by local councils that block late-night drinking licences in key nightlife areas. (Photo: Getty Images)

New powers for Sadiq Khan to support London's night-time economy

LONDON Sadiq Khan will receive new powers to help cut red tape affecting pubs, clubs and restaurants, the UK government announced on Friday.

Khan will be given “call-in” powers to review decisions by local councils that block late-night drinking licences in key nightlife areas.

Keep ReadingShow less
Russell brand

Sexual offences said to have taken place between 1999 and 2005

Getty

Russell Brand faces rape and sexual assault charges involving 4 women

Russell Brand has been formally charged with a series of sexual offences said to have taken place between 1999 and 2005. The comedian and actor faces allegations from four separate women, with the charges including rape, indecent assault, oral rape and further counts of sexual assault.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed on Friday that Brand has been informed of the charges. A statement from the force said he is to be charged with one count of rape in the Bournemouth area in 1999, one count of indecent assault in Westminster in 2001, one count of oral rape and an additional sexual assault in Westminster in 2004, and a further count of sexual assault in Westminster between 2004 and 2005.

Keep ReadingShow less