Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Keith Vaz's private life probe suspended for medical reasons

A parliamentary investigation into allegations surrounding the private life of Britain's longest-serving British Asian MP Keith Vaz has been "suspended for medical reasons", a report said.

The 61-year-old Labour party MP was hit by newspaper allegations last year that he had paid male escorts.


The Goan-origin politician had issued a public apology to his wife and children at the time and stepped down as the head of the influential House of Commons' Home Affairs Committee.

The Parliamentary Standards Commissioner Kathryn Hudson had opened an investigation to determine whether Vaz was guilty of a conflict of interest, as he was chair of the Home Affairs Committee's review of vice laws at the time of the allegations.

The suspension of the investigation was revealed on the Parliament website, without any further details.

"Rt Hon Keith Vaz MP - Alleged breach of paragraphs 10 and 16 of the Code of Conduct - suspended for medical reasons," the website notes.

The watchdog's probe under the parliamentary Code of Conduct also covers whether the former minister caused "significant damage" to the reputation of Parliament.

In December 2016, Scotland Yard had dropped an investigation into Vaz over alleged drug offences linked with the newspaper revelations around male escorts.

"During the investigation, new information was received and additional advice obtained from the CPS [Crown Prosecution Service], following which the MPS [Metropolitan Police Service] has made the decision to close the investigation with no person being charged," the Met Police had said in a statement.

A Sunday Mirror article on September 4, 2016, had claimed Vaz had been secretly recorded offering to pay for cocaine, a banned drug, if it was brought to a future meeting, though he stressed that he did not want any himself.

He was also accused of encouraging others to use poppers, an illegal party drug.

Vaz has since returned to active political life, and was re-elected to one of the Labour party's key executive bodies. the National Executive Committee (NEC). as its Black Asian and Ethnic Minority (BAME) representative in August this year.

"I am looking forward to continuing the vital work that I have been carrying out in the position for the last decade," said the Labour MP from Leicester East.

The National Executive Committee is the governing body and administrative authority of the Labour Party that oversees the overall direction of the party and the policy-making process.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Fruits and vegetables

Britain’s reliance on imported fruit and vegetables could make food prices more vulnerable to climate shocks

iStock

Britain’s fruit bowl could be at risk as climate change hits the countries it relies on

  • Around 40 per cent of Britain’s food is imported, including 80 per cent of its fruit.
  • The UK is already seeing domestic crops affected by heatwaves, drought and wildfires.
  • Researchers warn climate pressures could make fresh food more expensive and harder to secure.

Britain is increasingly exposed to that risk because it relies heavily on imported fruit and vegetables, including from countries that are themselves facing growing pressure from rising temperatures, drought and extreme weather.

Around 40 per cent of the UK's food is imported, according to a new report from the Food Foundation. The figure rises to 80 per cent for fruit and 47 per cent for vegetables, leaving Britain particularly dependent on overseas growers for some of the fresh foods people buy most often.

Keep ReadingShow less