Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Late Daljit Sehbai “promoted the interests of British Indians”

By Amit Roy

The journalist and publisher Daljit Sehbai, who died in London on June 18, aged 85, was chairman of the prestigious Reform Club from 2000-2002, the first Asian to be elected to the post since the gentlemen’s establishment was founded in London’s Pall Mall in 1832.


Sehbai was also president in 2016 of the Indian Journalists’ Association, having been its treasurer for many years.

Although Sehbai was especially at home in the very English surroundings of the Reform, he was founder chairman of National Council of British Indians, which he set up “to promote and protect the legitimate and special interests of people of Indian origin in the UK”.

Referring to the fact that British Indians number 2.5m, Sehbai said that “British Indians form the largest ethnic minority group in Britain, whose contributions to Britain’s social and economic life deserve recognition”.

His wife, Subhadra, to whom he was married for 59 years, told Eastern Eye: “He was very proud to be Indian.”

This was also the opinion of Hitesh Tailor, another Indian who became chairman last year of the Reform Club and acknowledged it was “a door he (Daljit) had opened”.

Tailor, who has worked closely with Sehbai in his capacity as joint secretary of the National Council of British Indians, said: “Daljit deserves to be recognised for his efforts to make the public, government agencies and the media aware of the contributions made by British Indians. He also emphasised the need for social cohesion and the value of good citizenship among people of Indian origin and helped to promote social cohesion among people of different origins living in the UK.”

“Daljit made tireless efforts to emphasise that British Indians must integrate, respect the British way of life while at the same time retain values and traditions of their Indian heritage,” he added.

Hitesh looked up some of Sehbai’s old correspondence, including a letter he wrote to David Cameron on 10 September 2012 admonishing the then Prime Minister: “Although there are many Conservative MPs of Indian origin who are extremely able and capable of inclusion in your government, you have not found it possible to consider their merit for playing a part in running the government of this country.”

Sehbai told Cameron that “MPs of Indian origin have been neglected by you in last week’s reshuffle of your government”.

He pointed out: “People of Indian origin …. play a vital role in the social and particularly the economic life of this country. It is a peaceful and not very vocal community. This does not mean that the importance of their role and their vital contribution to Britain should be ignored when deciding who should play a role in the government of this country.”

He requested the Prime Minister “to consider the importance of the role played by British Indians in the UK, particularly when you are making the important decision of who should play a part in administration of this country”.

He finished with the line: “I look forward to hearing from you.”

That Cameron became probably Britain’s most pro-Indian Prime Minister may have been due in part to the reasoned arguments of people such as Sehbai.

Tailor revealed that Sehbai approached the census authorities and helped to convince them that the word “Asian” was much “too broad” and needed to be broken down into its constituent parts “Indian” is now one category.

Last year in the Queen’s birthday honours, Sehbai was awarded an MBE “for services to social cohesion through the National Council of British Indians”.

Sehbai was born on 27 September, 1931, in Nowshera, NWFP, and came to Britain in 1955 to study law but soon switched to publishing and journalism.

In 1974, he established a publishing venture, Nile & Mackenzie, which acquired the UK rights to the international edition of India Today and subsequently the magazine’s UK edition in the 1980s.

In 1991-92, he was editorial consultant to Mirror Group Newspapers and helped to launch Asian edition of The People, a Sunday newspaper aimed at the second generation British Indians.

He served as a member of the Kingston & Esher Community Health Council from 1986 to 1990; was a governor of Tiffin Boys School in Kingston (1986-88); and later served as a member of South Eastern Electricity Consumers’ Committee. He was also a Trustee of the Chartered Institute of Journalists’ Pension Fund and of two charities run by the Institute to help journalists and their families in need.

He loved to entertain his wide circle of friends at the Reform Club, which he joined in 1987 and where his portrait will remain on permanent display along with those of other chairmen. He served on the club’s library committee for many years.

He is survived by his wife, daughters Sasha and Kavita and five grandchildren – all of the latter have “Sehbai” in their names.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less