Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Leicester police warn trouble-makers from ruining Diwali celebrations, promise 'swift action'

Temporary Chief Constable Rob Nixon also asked people to not share rumour or speculation or misinformation as we know it can cause so much harm.

Leicester police warn trouble-makers from ruining Diwali celebrations, promise 'swift action'

Leicester police have warned trouble-makers to stay away from Diwali celebrations in the city and added that officers were briefed to take 'strict actions' against perpetrators. 

Last week, Temporary Chief Constable Rob Nixon wished everyone a Happy Diwali and urged for peace during celebrations in the city.


"My message to everyone is that we want the celebrations to continue as normal. It is a matter of great importance to me that our communities feel safe as they begin Diwali. September has been a challenging month for many of us in Leicester but I am delighted that the Navratri celebrations went well, and we have not let a small minority ruin what is important to us in this great city," Nixon said in his message.

He revealed that there will be increased policing operation in the city, adding that drones will also be deployed.

"We will be deploying our drones to support with capturing crowd movements and aid us to respond quickly to any potential disorder," he said.

The police had on Friday (7) ordered a ban of setting off fireworks and sparklers in public places, which can result in a fine of up to £5,000 or a prison sentence.

The region over and around the Cossington Park in Belgrave was declared No Drone Zone on October 9 and 10 (2pmto 2am) - as well as on October 24 and 25.

Nixon added: "I am asking people to please not share rumour or speculation or misinformation as we know it can cause so much harm. We will be continuing to monitor social media channels and correcting fake news where possible but I reiterate my plea to ask people to not share information that they don’t know is true.

"For those that may consider causing trouble in Leicester I would urge you not to get involved. We have a significant number of officers out and they are briefed to take swift action."

Report anything suspicious to us on 101 or online. If a crime is in progress or life is in danger call 999, officers said.

The city has witnessed communal clashes in the past few weeks between small sections of the Hindu and Muslim communities. As many as 55 people were arrested so far in connection with these incidents.

Meanwhile, 40,000 people have attened the switch-on of lights event to mark Diwali in Leicester, one of the largest events held outside India, on Sunday (9).

Live entertainment as part of the celebrations started in the evening and the switch-on of 6,000 lights took place at 19:30, reports said.

"It's always a special night in Leicester when we switch on our Diwali lights. Tonight was spectacular. Thank you to everyone, especially the University of Leicester, who made tonight such a success," Jonathan Ashworth, Labour MP for Leicester South, wrote on Twitter.

Police said that due to a 'visible but reassuring presence' of officers no untoward incidents were reported during the event.

More For You

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

Xi Jinping

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

THE Chinese president, Xi Jinping, last Friday (28) pledged deeper cooperation with his Bangladeshi counterpart Muhammad Yunus in a meeting that came as Dhaka seeks new friends to offset frosty ties with India.

Yunus took charge of Bangladesh last August after the toppling of former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, who fled to New Delhi after a student-led uprising.

Keep ReadingShow less
Milton-Keynes

Eyewitnesses described hearing shouting before the shooting

iStock

Man shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes railway station

A MAN was shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes Central station after reports that he was carrying a firearm.

Thames Valley Police (TVP) said officers were called to the station at 12:55, where they challenged a suspect carrying a knife. The man moved towards officers before police fired at him.

Keep ReadingShow less
EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

SCRUTINY: The tribunal’s favourable verdict is an important win for accountability, say current and retired Asian judges (Pic credit: Getty Images/Leon Neal)

EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

A tribunal has ordered the body which appoints judges in England and Wales to disclose records it refused to give to Eastern Eye.

The decision is a major victory for press freedoms because it forces the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) to become more open and transparent.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sunita-Williams-Reuters

Sunita Williams was part of the SpaceX Crew-9 mission and had been stranded in space for over nine months. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters)

India looks amazing from space, says Sunita Williams

NASA astronaut Sunita Williams described India as "amazing" from space and expressed her intention to visit her "father's home country" to share her experiences on space exploration.

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, she responded to a question about how India appeared from space and the possibility of collaboration with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

Keep ReadingShow less
british-muslims-iStock

The study noted that this identification was not due to any doctrinal obligation but was influenced by the perception that many Muslims do not feel fully accepted as British. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Majority of British Muslims identify by faith first, study finds

A STUDY by the Institute for the Impact of Faith in Life (IIFL) has found that most British Muslims identify primarily with their religion rather than their nationality.

The research, based on a survey of 815 British Muslim adults by Whitestone Insight, revealed that 71 per cent of respondents identified as Muslim first, while 27 per cent identified as British, English, or Scottish first.

Keep ReadingShow less