Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Less than a quarter know Muslims fought for Britain in WWI

by LAUREN CODLING

MORE needs to be done to raise awareness of diverse personnel who have contributed to the military, a senior member of the armed forces has said.


During the First World War, over a million Indian soldiers, about 400,000 of them Muslims from present-day Pakistan, battled alongside British forces.

However, a recent study by think tank British Future found just 22 per cent of people in Britain knew Muslims had fought for Britain.

Major Naveed Muhammad MBE is the chairman of the Armed Forces Muslim Association (AFMA). Launched in 2009, the initiative helps to connect Muslim serving personnel from the army, navy and air force so they can support one another.

Muhammad told Eastern Eye it had been “powerful” to see recognition for the British Indian Army in the lead up to Remembrance Sunday (11).

“Organisations such as the armed forces, Royal British Legion, and AFMA, alongside others, have promoted greater awareness in recent times,” he said. “However, there is more to do to bring attention to all the various faiths and communities that have contributed to our nation’s security.”

Muhammad, who was awarded an MBE in 2016, recently delivered a Muslim service of commemoration at the Woking Peace Garden, the original resting place for some of the Muslim soldiers killed during the two world wars. The event was attended by Muslim communities from around the country.

“Broadening the understanding of the role Muslims play in our armed forces among British Muslim communities and beyond is a key part of my role as the chairman of AFMA,” he explained.

Last Friday (9), imams in mosques around the country gave remembrance-themed services in honour of Commonwealth soldiers who fought for Britain.

Imam Qari Asim, chair of the Mosques and Imams National Advisory Board, agreed that most Muslims needed to learn about their ancestors’ contribution during the war.

“It’s important that they do – this shared history of contribution is something that we can all commemorate in Britain, whatever our ethnicity or faith,” he said.

As part of the Remember Together initiative from British Future and the Royal British Legion, primary and secondary students and families from different ethnic and faith backgrounds in Bradford, London and Derby were encouraged to make poppies to remember war heroes.

“To better understand our shared values, the act of remembering together across different communities, is a powerful way to stand united against those who seek to divide us,” Muhammad said.

Last week, it was announced that the armed forces would increase the number of recruits from Commonwealth countries such as India and Sri Lanka. The defence ministry said Britain’s military would increase Commonwealth recruits to 1,350 per year. It is expected to be introduced over the next few years.

At present, the UK employs some 4,500 Commonwealth citizens in the military.

Muhammad said he welcomed the opportunity to see increased diversity in the ranks, noting the service that the Commonwealth had already provided.

“From before WW1, citizens of the Commonwealth have served in a variety of roles, in many conflicts in order to safeguard Britain’s interests at home and overseas,” he said. “Many of these have been decorated for courage and valour, including those awarded the Victoria Cross.”

Looking back on his own experience of marking the contribution of south Asian soldiers, Muhammad recalled travelling to France in 2008 where he visited the Neuve-Chapelle Indian Memorial.

It honoured some 4,742 soldiers who gave their lives in the Battle of Neuve-Chapelle – the first major action of the Indian Corps.

In Belgium, he visited the Menin Gate Memorial where almost 54,400 Commonwealth and British casualties are honoured.

“[My visits] extended my understanding of how the forces fought alongside one another,” he said.

“Both sites really brought home to me the scale of the contribution of those from present-day India, Pakistan and Bangladesh."

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less