Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

London Fashion Week marks 40th anniversary amid economic gloom

The industry, which employs close to 900,000 people in the UK and contributes 21 billion pounds ($26 billion) to the British economy, is facing “incredibly challenging times,” said Caroline Rush, London Fashion Week’s director

London Fashion Week marks 40th anniversary amid economic gloom

Creators, influencers, buyers, and celebrities are set to gather in London on Friday (16) to mark the 40th anniversary of the UK capital's Fashion Week with a five-day extravaganza.

Organisers aim for the event to offer some cheer to young designers who have been affected by the gloomy economy.


Around sixty budding talents together with renowned names like Burberry will present their 2024 Autumn/Winter lines across London on a mix of live and virtual stages.

Unlike the fashion weeks in Paris and Milan, which predominantly showcase established houses, London's Fashion Week is celebrated as a platform for young talents, such as the Ukrainian Masha Popova and the British-Nigerian designer Tolu Coker, who will kick off the event on Friday.

The weekend will feature more familiar names including JW Anderson -- whose designer Jonathan Anderson was named Designer of the Year 2023 by Vogue -- Richard Quinn, Ahluwalia and Simone Rocha, who recently designed Jean Paul Gaultier's last haute couture Spring/Summer 2024 collection presented in Paris in January.

The event comes at a tumultuous for Britain's fashion industry, with trade obstacles following Brexit and a cost-of-living crisis fuelled by inflation over the past two years, causing many young fashion houses to question the viability of investing in UK fashion shows.

Rising star Dilara Findikoglu made headlines last September after she cancelled her show days before the event due to financial reasons.

The industry, which employs close to 900,000 people in the UK and contributes 21 billion pounds ($26 billion) to the British economy, is facing "incredibly challenging times," London Fashion Week's director Caroline Rush said in an interview with AFP.

But what can be garnered from 40 years, she said, "is that in the most economically challenging times, you see the most incredible creativity".

"There's almost this visceral reaction to what's happening at home," Rush said.

"I'm hoping that the creativity that we see over the next few days will be incredibly uplifting, that it will talk about the role of culture and creativity in society," she added.

- Diversity -

In 1984, a tent set up in the parking lot of the former Commonwealth Institute in Kensington, West London, hosted the first edition of London Fashion Week.

Over the years, with the help of rebellious designers like Vivienne Westwood, John Galliano and the "Cool Britannia" era in the 1990s -- a period when Stella McCartney dressed supermodels Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell -- the city was placed firmly on the fashion map.

Since then, however, the week has lost some of its allure, with star designers and houses including Alexander McQueen and Victoria Beckham preferring to showcase their designs in Paris.

However, the British Fashion Council's NEWGEN sponsorship program, which supports young designers in launching their careers, has solidified London's status as a talent incubator.

And, while it may be less influential than Paris and Milan, the youngest of the four major "fashion weeks" continues to be celebrated for its freedom, radicalism and less conventional approach.

This year, the event is set to promote a broader spectrum of diversity and inclusivity, embracing a variety of body types, ages and skin tones among the models.

It will also showcase designers' collections that draw on identities and inspirations from the Caribbean, Iran, India, and Ethiopia.

British brand Burberry, one of the flagship designers at the event, has been building anticipation for the third collection of its English creative director Daniel Lee, which will be showcased on Monday (19).

In recent days, the high-end department store Harrod's has been adorned in Burberry's new signature colour "Knight blue," from the porters' uniforms to the facade of the institution.

(AFP)

More For You

Saif Ali Khan’s ‘Jewel Thief: The Heist Begins’ Poster Unveiled

Saif Ali Khan, Jaideep Ahlawat, and the ensemble cast shine in the poster of Jewel Thief: The Heist

Instagram/netflix_in

Saif Ali Khan’s latest Netflix film ‘Jewel Thief: The Heist Begins’ drops an intriguing new poster

Netflix released a new poster for Jewel Thief: The Heist Begins, and it’s already got fans talking. The image shows Saif Ali Khan with a sharp, focused gaze, his eye cleverly framed by the silhouette of a diamond, hinting at the high-stakes heist at the heart of the film.

Slated for release on April 25, the movie follows a skilled thief hired by a crime boss to steal the legendary African Red Sun diamond. But as expected, things don’t go as planned. The teaser, dropped earlier this year, showed us a tense partnership between Saif and Jaideep Ahlawat, with twists, betrayals, and plenty of action in store.

Keep ReadingShow less
Empuraan Storm: Success, Censorship Debate & Political Attacks

Prithviraj Sukumaran and Mohanlal at a press meet for L2: Empuraan

Instagram/empuraanmovie

L2: Empuraan - A film that shattered records and sparked a political storm

Few films manage to be both a record-breaking success and a lightning rod for controversy at the same time. But L2: Empuraan, the much-hyped sequel to Lucifer, has done exactly that. The Prithviraj Sukumaran directorial, starring Mohanlal, has not only rewritten and shattered box office history but also sparked a nationwide debate on censorship, political narratives, and artistic freedom.

On one hand, it’s the fastest Malayalam film to gross £5.1 million (₹50 crore) in Kerala, the first Malayalam film to cross £10.2 million (₹100 crore) overseas, and a £20.4 million (₹200 crore) club entrant within just five days. On the other hand, it has been accused of pushing a political agenda, leading to 2m 8s, 24 last-minute cuts, a legal battle, and a full-blown culture war.

Keep ReadingShow less
Hayley Atwell Reveals Tom Cruise’s Advice on Social Anxiety

Atwell explained that Cruise’s advice helped her focus on identifying the sources of her anxiety

Getty

Mission Impossible star Hayley Atwell reveals Tom Cruise's advice to overcome social anxiety

Hayley Atwell has opened up about the helpful advice Tom Cruise gave her on how to cope with social anxiety, a topic that resonates with many, including those working in the intense world of Hollywood. Atwell, known for her role as Peggy Carter in Marvel films and for starring alongside Cruise in Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning (2023), revealed how Cruise's wisdom has helped her deal with nervousness in large social gatherings, something she’s not immune to despite her prominent career.

As Atwell prepares to reprise her role in what is expected to be the last chapter of the Mission: Impossible series, The Final Reckoning, due for release in May, her reflections on social anxiety offer an insightful perspective on how even the most successful stars experience self-doubt. She recently discussed this on the Reign with Josh Smith podcast, explaining how she often battles the feelings that come with being in a room full of people.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sam Mendes Unveils Cast for Beatles Biopic Four-Film Event in 2028

The Beatles - A Four-Film Cinematic Event, directed by Sam Mendes

Instagram/Sonypictures

Paul Mescal, Barry Keoghan & more: Sam Mendes’ Beatles Biopics' cast revealed for the epic four-film event in 2028

Hollywood is about to take us on a journey like never before through the lives of ‘The Beatles,’ one member at a time! Director Sam Mendes, known for films like 1917 and Skyfall, has revealed the actors who’ll step into the shoes of John, Paul, George, and Ringo in four separate biopics, all hitting theatres in April 2028.

Harris Dickinson will play John Lennon, Paul Mescal takes on Paul McCartney, Barry Keoghan becomes Ringo Starr, and Joseph Quinn transforms into George Harrison. The announcement came at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, where Mendes and the cast surprised the crowd. Instead of cramming the band’s epic story into one movie or stretching it into a series, Mendes chose a different approach: four interconnected films, each diving deep into a different Beatle’s life.

Keep ReadingShow less