Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

London gets resilience centre to shield capital's small businesses from cyber threat

National Fraud Intelligence Bureau figures show that more than £1.8 billion was lost to fraud and cybercrime in London over the last year.

London gets resilience centre to shield capital's small businesses from cyber threat

Businesses in London have been urged to join a new scheme which was launched on Tuesday (25) to protect them from the growing threat of cybercrime. The new measure was facilitated by funding from mayor Sadiq Khan who wants to make London the world's safest city to do business online.

Figures from the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau have shown that more than £1.8 billion were lost to fraud and cybercrime in the national capital over the last year with 35 per cent of small and micro businesses facing at least one attack or breach, which is equal to around 250,000 businesses.


The new Cyber Resilience Centre (CRC) features industry experts who will work with the city's three police forces -- Met Police, City of London Police, and British Transport Police -- to enable it to support London's small-and-medium businesses and help them prepare against cyberattacks and extend support when they have been targeted, the mayor's press office said.

Industry leaders have warned in the wake of growing strikes against London's businesses through phishing, hacking, and ransomware attacks that every organisation and business is a potential target and loss of funds often causes big damage to small- and medium-scale ventures.

Over the three years, the centre aims to support around 20,000 businesses in the city that are most vulnerable to attacks, and providing small-business owners with practical online safety advice, and face-to-face visits.

The mayor is also investing £200,000 to support the centre’s community outreach programme, which includes development of self-help toolkits for businesses and ‘How-To’ video guides on improving their resilience against cyberattacks.

The CRCs receive an annual grant from the home office to carry out their safety missions against cyber crime.

The businesses will be able to sign up for a free London CRC membership online and get instant access to safety advice; monthly cyber threat reports from the National Cyber Security Centre; latest guidance from the Met Police and City of London Police’s dedicated teams and a monthly newsletter with hints and tips on improving cyber resilience.

They can also contact the cyber resilience team with urgent questions and receive training for their staff members.

London's deputy mayor for policing and crime Sophie Linden launched the new CRC at an event at City Hall which was attended by business owners.

“Far too many small businesses in the capital are impacted by cybercrime, with billions of pounds lost and thousands of lives impacted each year," she said.

“Our new Cyber Resilience Centre will help businesses stay safe online and protect them from cyber criminals. This is all part of our work to build a safer, more prosperous city for everyone and I urge all businesses in London to sign-up and use the centre’s services.”

Simon Newman, CEO of the CRC for London, said: “I’m delighted to be bringing the launch of the Cyber Resilience Centre for London to City Hall. We’ve been generously supported by the mayor’s office for policing and crime, and it’s fantastic to be able to celebrate our shared vision together.

“I’m really ambitious about the future of the CRC for London. I want to see it grow as a partnership between policing, industry and academia; for us to be seen as a trusted, reliable partner to the Capital’s SME community; and for our Cyber PATH programme to produce consistently high-quality talent. In 10 years’ time, I want to look back and be able to say that we have helped make London the safest city in the world to do business online.”

Metropolitan Police commander Catherine Roper, said, “It is essential that we come together to help London businesses protect themselves against cybercrime. This crime type is rapidly increasing, and often initially unseen, and yet has devastating effects on businesses and individuals. The exciting launch of the new Cyber Resilience Centre supports a collaboration between key partners to support small and medium businesses across London from becoming victims to cyber attacks.

“It also provides the vital platform to share best practice; knowledge and practical operational advice to ensure a strong defence to protect and prepare businesses from cybercrime. The Met is committed, with its partners, to do everything it can to tackle cybercrime – and today is a significant step forward.”

James Thomson, chair of the City of London Police Authority Board, said, “We must ensure that the City and the wider national economy is one of the safest places to do business in the world. The London Cyber Resilience Centre will do just that – protecting the capital’s businesses and their customers, and helping to deliver a thriving economy.

“Becoming a victim of cybercrime ruins lives, whether it’s individuals or businesses that are the target and this is an enormous opportunity to make a difference, by preventing people from becoming victims in the first place.”

Chris Ulliott, chief information security officer at NatWest, said, “NatWest is proud to be an ambassador for the National Cyber Resilience Centre Group and are delighted to support the opening of London’s new Cyber Resilience Centre. The centre is working to help the capital’s business community build resilience against the very real threat of cybercrime.

“Small and medium-sized businesses are a fundamental part of the economy. As such it’s really important that these businesses are equipped with the best tools and knowledge to conduct their day-to-day business safely and securely online, which is a key priority of the mayor of London, and we are very happy to help them do that.”

More For You

Police Recover £1M Stolen Jewellery in Hounslow, Owners Sought

The jewellery was largely taken from London’s South Asian community in Hounslow between 2023 and 2024. (Photo: Met Police)

Stolen jewellery worth £1m recovered in Hounslow, police seek owners

POLICE are seeking to reunite stolen jewellery worth over £1 million with its rightful owners after recovering the items during a proactive operation across London and the home counties.

The recovered collection includes identifiable pieces such as a World War One officer’s Rolex watch, a gold locket containing old pictures, an engraved gold ring, and an engraved gold pocket watch from Harlow Bros Ltd.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-muslims

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

iStock)

Government announces fund to combat anti-Muslim hate

THE UK government has announced a new fund to monitor anti-Muslim hate and support victims, with applications opening on 7 April.

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

Keep ReadingShow less
Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

FILE PHOTO: Entrance of Manston short-term holding centre for migrants, near Ramsgate in southeast England. (Photo by BEN STANSALL/AFP via Getty Images)

Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

AUTHORITIES have launched an investigation following reports that a racist message was broadcast over portable radios at an asylum processing centre in Kent.

The incident occurred at the Manston site, where small boat arrivals are processed by the Home Office and its contractor, Mitie, reported The Guardian.

Keep ReadingShow less
Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

Sri Lankan animal rights activists take part in a demonstration in Colombo on April 3, 2025, to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Narendra Modi. (Photo by ISHARA S. KODIKARA/AFP via Getty Images)

Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

SRI LANKAN animal rights activists marched on Thursday (3) to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Indian prime minister Narendra Modi.

Authorities in Colombo and the Buddhist pilgrim city of Anuradhapura have reportedly deployed dog catchers to impound hounds ahead of Modi's visit, which begins on Friday (4).

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty

Donald Trump and Narendra Modi hold a joint press conference in the East Room at the White House on February 13, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Explained: Impact of US tariffs on Indian exports

The United States has announced a 27 per cent reciprocal tariff on Indian goods entering the American market.

Industry experts have said these duties will pose challenges for Indian exports, though India's position remains more favourable than some of its competitors.

Keep ReadingShow less