Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Lord Mayor: ‘India is a priority market for London’

by LAUREN CODLING

INDIA is an “important priority market” for the UK, the lord mayor of London confirmed ahead of leading a delegation to the subcontinent last Sunday (7).


Lord mayor Charles Bowman was due to travel to three major cities – Mumbai, Bangalore

and New Delhi – to promote London’s fintech industry.

Meeting various senior Indian ministers and tech industry leaders, Bowman was also accompanied by representatives of 12 leading UK fintech firms for the five-day visit.

Financial technology (fintech) is a relatively new industry which uses technology to enhance activities in finance.

The lord mayor intended to discuss opportunities across a range of tech fields including

insurtech, insurance-related technology models and regtech, or regulatory technologies.

He told Eastern Eye last week that the visit aimed to promote stronger international ties and explore business opportunities.

Asked if there could be any challenges in selling the city as a technology capital, Bowman

said he saw only great opportunities.

London, he explained, is an extraordinary fast-growing fintech hub.

“What we see in London, if you look all the way from St Pancreas to Shoreditch towards Canary Wharf, is a very strong ring of steel which is tech at its core,” he said.

“There is a wonderful hub of activities.”

Last week, prime minister Theresa May and home secretary Sajid Javid announced

new immigration proposals which would prioritise highly-skilled migrants after Brexit.

The proposals would ensure that highly-skilled professionals from India and other

south Asian countries will no longer face visa caps when migrating to Britain, as it was agreed to drop current rules that give preferential treatment to workers from the EU.

Bowman was keen to emphasise that the three areas focused on from a Brexit perspective

were transition, trade and talent.

“The city of London is nothing without access to talent and its people,” he said.

“Treating workers from India the same as those from the EU is extremely important.”

Bowman added he would be taking a message of “reassurance” that London will continue to be the world’s leading financial centre, even after the UK leaves the European Union next year.

In response to Bowman’s visit, India’s high commissioner YK Sinha said the trip came at a very “opportune time, given the ever-strengthening bilateral ties between our two countries.”

“Our collaboration in cutting-edge technologies, financial services and fintech has been particularly noteworthy,” Sinha said.

“I am sanguine that the visit will further enhance these invaluable links, particularly

in the fintech sector.”

In addition to the focus on technology, the lord mayor will also announce the winner of

a scholarship to an Indian student as part of the Mansion House Scholarship Scheme.

It will be given to one exceptional individual who will be given the chance to work closely within the financial hub of the capital for a year.

“We’ve been running the programme for 25 years,” Bowman explained. “We offer between

12 and 15 scholarships when we travel. The aim is to drive in talented young individuals

from across the globe – when they return to their country, they will have joined dots with alumni from across the world.”

Having visited some 27 countries in his role as lord mayor, this will be his first ever trip to India.

The role of lord mayor lasts for a duration of 12 months. Bowman is due to finish his

term on November 9.

As this is his second to last international trip, he will also be joined by lord mayorelect

Alderman Peter Estlin.

By allowing his successors to join the delegation, it means they can develop their own experiences and relationships before taking over the position.

Bowman, who is an accountant by profession, is the 690th lord mayor of the capital.

It is a role that dates back from centuries, initially implemented in the first century.

“[The role acts as] a sense of constant in a world which seems quite short-term,” Bowman

said. “Having the role of a key representative for a thousand-plus years is a very

important story.”

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less