Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Man arrested with sword outside Buckingham Palace denies engaging in terrorism

A 26-year-old man of Bangladeshi-origin, who was arrested with a sword near Buckingham Palace and charged with a terror offence, has denied engaging in the acts of terrorism.

Mohiussunnath Chowdhury, from Luton area of England, appeared at the Old Bailey court in London via a video link from Belmarsh Prison, a high-security jail in south-east London.


He denied engaging in the preparation to commit an act or acts of terrorism on August 25, 2017 and was remanded in custody to stand trial in June.

Chowdhury, who worked as a self-employed Uber driver, was stopped by Scotland Yard officers when he stopped his vehicle near a police car on Constitution Hill near Queen Elizabeth's London residence before he was arrested.

"Mohiussunnath Chowdhury was charged with an offence contrary to Section 5(1) of the Terrorism Act 2006 namely, on or before August 25 2017 engaging in conduct in preparation for giving effect to his intention to commit an act or acts of terrorism," Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

Chowdhury was caught with a four-foot sword shouting "Allahhu Akbar" near the palace and three police officers were injured in the course of the attack.

Scotland Yard's Counter Terrorism Command had earlier revealed details of the attack, which took place on August 25 when a man stopped his car in a restricted area near a police vehicle.

Officers spotted a large bladed weapon in his vehicle and went to arrest him.

During the course of detaining the man, three male police officers suffered minor injuries to their arm.

Two of the injured officers were taken to hospital for treatment and were later discharged.

Chowdhury was also taken to a London hospital for treatment of minor injuries before being questioned by police.

"We believe the man was acting alone and we are not looking for other suspects at this stage. While we cannot speculate on what the man was intending to do – this will be determined during the course of the investigation – it is only right that we investigate this as a terrorist incident at this time," Commander Dean Haydon, the head of the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, had said.

A 30-year-old man was detained on suspicion of terrorism offences a few days after the incident in west London in connection with the palace attack.

He was later released without charge.

Queen Elizabeth and other members of the royal family were not in Buckingham Palace at the time.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less