Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Man shot dead in London by UK police in terror incident; two injured

A man was shot dead by armed Scotland Yard officers in south London on Sunday in a terror-related stabbing incident which injured at least two people.

Emergency services, including paramedics and armed police, responded to the incident on Streatham High Road, from where social media images showed plain-clothed policemen pursuing a suspect who was later pronounced dead.


"A man has been shot by armed officers in Streatham," the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

"At this stage it is believed a number of people have been stabbed. The circumstances are being assessed; the incident has been declared as terrorist-related," it said.

The police later confirmed that the scene had been "fully contained".

"We believe there are two injured victims. We await updates on their conditions," they said.

The exact circumstances of the incident remain unconfirmed but some eyewitnesses reported seeing a machete-wielding man with some silver canisters strapped to his body before he was shot.

Police shouted for people to "get back" as they cleared the area of shoppers and bystanders.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson took to Twitter to thank the emergency services for containing the incident.

"Thank you to all emergency services responding to the incident in Streatham, which the police have now declared as terrorism-related. My thoughts are with the injured and all those affected," he said.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan also praised the emergency services for their response and said he was in "close contact" with the police following the incident in Streatham.

In a statement, he said: "Terrorists seek to divide us and to destroy our way of life - here in London we will never let them succeed".

"I am being kept updated by @metpoliceuk on this afternoon's incident in Streatham, which has been declared terrorist-related. My first thoughts are with the victims, our brave police and emergency services and their families,"

Home Secretary Priti Patel said in a tweet. In November last year, two people were killed after convicted terrorist Usman Khan went on a stabbing frenzy in London Bridge area of the UK capital.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Fruits and vegetables

Britain’s reliance on imported fruit and vegetables could make food prices more vulnerable to climate shocks

iStock

Britain’s fruit bowl could be at risk as climate change hits the countries it relies on

  • Around 40 per cent of Britain’s food is imported, including 80 per cent of its fruit.
  • The UK is already seeing domestic crops affected by heatwaves, drought and wildfires.
  • Researchers warn climate pressures could make fresh food more expensive and harder to secure.

Britain is increasingly exposed to that risk because it relies heavily on imported fruit and vegetables, including from countries that are themselves facing growing pressure from rising temperatures, drought and extreme weather.

Around 40 per cent of the UK's food is imported, according to a new report from the Food Foundation. The figure rises to 80 per cent for fruit and 47 per cent for vegetables, leaving Britain particularly dependent on overseas growers for some of the fresh foods people buy most often.

Keep ReadingShow less