Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Manchester attack ‘failures’ revealed

by LAUREN CODLING

“OUT of the loop” fire rescue teams did not arrive at the scene of the Manchester terror attack for nearly two hours due to “poor communication [and] procedure”, a new report has revealed.


The Kerslake Report, released on Tuesday (27), additionally found a casualty bureau was hampered by the “complete failure” by phone network Vodafone, as it failed to collate information on the missing and injured, and families were “hounded” by journalists in the aftermath of the attack.

Twenty-two people died last May after an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena when suicide bomber Salman Abedi detonated a home-made bomb. A further 700 people were injured.

The report confirmed the first North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) paramedic arrived at 22:42, just over ten minutes after the blast.

However, according to the review, fire services had no “meaningful role” at the scene, as they arrived significantly late due to fears that there was an on-going terror attack and they would not be safe, the review concluded.

Rob Grew, an individual who helped in the aftermath of the attack, told BBC he did not think there were enough emergency staff at the scene on time.

“There were only three ambulance staff, one of which was prepped to start with. Another two came in 10-20 minutes after,” he recalled.

“Forty minutes in, a large presence of police came, about 50 armed police secured the foyer, most of which were probably instructed to just stand and secure the premises and not to help.”

Grew also confirmed he thought that more victims may have survived if there had been more emergency staff on hand within the first fifteen minutes.

The report also flagged up the “catastrophic failures” by the National Mutual Aid Telephony system operated by Vodafone, set up on contract by the Home Office since 2009.

The phone network operates an emergency phone system meant to help communication

when a terror attack occurs, allowing other police forces to help call handlers in Greater Manchester and to set up a casualty bureau to help locate missing or injured individuals.

However, the failure of the system meant families involved in the tragedy were caused more stress as they were “reduced to a frantic search around the hospitals of Greater Manchester to find out more”.

The report found “shocking” accounts by families affected who were apparently

“hounded” by members of the media.

The panel say they were “dismayed” to hear of individuals experiencing a “lack of respect” by journalists, some of whom even attempted to take photos when families were receiving bad news.

Figen Murray, the mother of victim Martyn Hett, claimed a journalist informed her daughter of Hett’s death before it was confirmed by police.

“To put [my daughter] in that position is unforgivable… it is unethical, totally unethical,” she said.

Other key findings noted that young children affected by the attack had to wait approximately eight months for mental health support and not enough first-aid

supplies were available at the scene, meaning some victims were carried out on advertising boards rather than stretchers.

However, the report commended the Manchester Arena staff, the British Transport Police (BTP) and members of the public who stayed to help for their “enormous bravery and compassion”.

The panel also noted how family liaison officers and bereavement nurses provided a “vital” source of care to many, going on to support individual families in the aftermath of the terror attack.

More For You

Police Recover £1M Stolen Jewellery in Hounslow, Owners Sought

The jewellery was largely taken from London’s South Asian community in Hounslow between 2023 and 2024. (Photo: Met Police)

Stolen jewellery worth £1m recovered in Hounslow, police seek owners

POLICE are seeking to reunite stolen jewellery worth over £1 million with its rightful owners after recovering the items during a proactive operation across London and the home counties.

The recovered collection includes identifiable pieces such as a World War One officer’s Rolex watch, a gold locket containing old pictures, an engraved gold ring, and an engraved gold pocket watch from Harlow Bros Ltd.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-muslims

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

iStock)

Government announces fund to combat anti-Muslim hate

THE UK government has announced a new fund to monitor anti-Muslim hate and support victims, with applications opening on 7 April.

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

Keep ReadingShow less
Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

FILE PHOTO: Entrance of Manston short-term holding centre for migrants, near Ramsgate in southeast England. (Photo by BEN STANSALL/AFP via Getty Images)

Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

AUTHORITIES have launched an investigation following reports that a racist message was broadcast over portable radios at an asylum processing centre in Kent.

The incident occurred at the Manston site, where small boat arrivals are processed by the Home Office and its contractor, Mitie, reported The Guardian.

Keep ReadingShow less
Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

Sri Lankan animal rights activists take part in a demonstration in Colombo on April 3, 2025, to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Narendra Modi. (Photo by ISHARA S. KODIKARA/AFP via Getty Images)

Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

SRI LANKAN animal rights activists marched on Thursday (3) to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Indian prime minister Narendra Modi.

Authorities in Colombo and the Buddhist pilgrim city of Anuradhapura have reportedly deployed dog catchers to impound hounds ahead of Modi's visit, which begins on Friday (4).

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty

Donald Trump and Narendra Modi hold a joint press conference in the East Room at the White House on February 13, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Explained: Impact of US tariffs on Indian exports

The United States has announced a 27 per cent reciprocal tariff on Indian goods entering the American market.

Industry experts have said these duties will pose challenges for Indian exports, though India's position remains more favourable than some of its competitors.

Keep ReadingShow less