Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK and US agencies warn about domestic terror threats amid Middle East crisis

According to the counter-terror chiefs, Jewish communities, along with other groups, might face elevated risks from lone actors, Hamas militants, and Iran on British or US soil

UK and US agencies warn about domestic terror threats amid Middle East crisis

The heads of domestic intelligence and security service, MI5, and the FBI have jointly warned of an increased threat of domestic terrorist attacks due to the crisis in the Middle East.

According to the counter-terror chiefs, Jewish communities, along with other groups, might face elevated risks from lone actors, Hamas militants, and Iran on British or US soil, The Guardian reported.


Ken McCallum, the director general of MI5, emphasised the potential danger posed by "self-initiated" individuals who could have been radicalised online and might respond in spontaneous or unpredictable ways in the UK following the terrorist attacks on Israel and the ongoing conflict.

Speaking at a public summit of intelligence chiefs in California, McCallum, alongside FBI director Christopher Wray, expressed concerns about the potential escalation of violence due to terror groups or Iran.

McCallum highlighted the possibility of Jewish individuals or organisations being targeted by neo-Nazis and Islamists amid the unfolding events in the Middle East.

He said that significant events in the Middle East could increase the UK threat level or alter the nature of the targets and sources of inspiration.

The statement came after a tragic incident in Brussels on Monday night (16), when a gunman shot dead two Swedish football fans. Initially, the Belgian prosecutor’s office stated no connection to the Israel-Gaza conflict, but later, a spokesperson indicated that a potential link was under investigation.

France elevated its security alert to the highest level on Friday following an incident where a suspected radical Islamist killed a teacher and injured three others in the northern part of the country.

These events occurred during a period of heightened counter-terror concerns, exacerbated by the significant violence resulting from Hamas's recent attack on Israel, ten days ago.

Wray said that terrorist threats in the US were rapidly evolving. Therefore, he warned that there is a possibility that Hamas or other foreign terrorist organisations might exploit the conflict, thereby urging vigilance.

Wray also noted an increase in reported threats against Jewish Americans and Muslim Americans, as well as their institutions and places of worship, reiterating a warning he issued to police chiefs in San Diego on Saturday.

Though McCallum did not provide specific details about reported threats in the UK, he emphasised MI5's vigilance, especially concerning lone actors.

He noted a potential risk for Jewish or Israeli individuals or entities from individuals with Islamist extremist ideologies and those holding extreme rightwing, antisemitic, or neo-Nazi beliefs.

McCallum and Wray addressed the potential threats faced in the UK and the US during the commencement of a meeting among spy chiefs from the Five Eyes intelligence agencies, hosted by the FBI in California.

Also present at the meeting were leaders of domestic agencies from Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, marking the first public appearance together for all five intelligence agencies.

The intelligence chiefs planned to discuss the implications of Hamas's attack on Israel earlier this month, both in the region and in their respective homelands, as well as addressing the threat posed by Chinese economic espionage.

Both Wray and McCallum condemned Hamas's attack on Israel. While Wray expressed his deep horror at the atrocities committed by Hamas in Israel, McCallum, described the attacks as monstrous. He said 1,400 people have been murdered, including at least six British citizens.

Additionally, McCallum mentioned that MI5 was actively involved in collaborative efforts with Israeli and other authorities to locate British hostages captured by Hamas fighters.

The FBI has already affirmed its commitment to locating and identifying missing Americans who may have been affected by the conflict.

The British spy chief also issued a specific warning regarding Iran, which had indicated its willingness to take "pre-emptive action" against Israel before an anticipated ground invasion of Gaza.

Additionally, McCallum pointed out that the unfolding events in the Middle East increased the likelihood of Iran adopting new strategies.

Therefore, he mentioned the potential possibility of these actions extending to the UK, although, the UK was already operating under a substantial threat level emanating from Iran, he said.

Last year, the head of MI5 had cautioned that Iran had issued 10 kidnap or death threats against individuals residing in the UK. This week, employees at the BBC’s Persian news service in London expressed their concerns about personal safety, fearing harassment by Iranian authorities when walking alone outdoors.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less