Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Minorities in STEM workforce suffered disproportionately during Covid, inquiry finds

Minorities in STEM workforce suffered disproportionately during Covid, inquiry finds

AN inquiry report published on Tuesday (20) by a group of cross-party MPs and Peers found that minorities in the science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) workforce have suffered disproportionately during the Covid-19 pandemic.

The all-party parliamentary group (APPG) on diversity and inclusion in STEM has demanded urgent action as the UK faces losing a generation of STEM workers.


Launched in November 2020, the inquiry collected evidence from over 150 institutions, businesses, networks and individuals to understand how extreme the impact of Covid-19 had been for people of marginalised groups in the STEM sector.

According to a statement, the evidence has shown the pandemic has exacerbated historic and systemic disadvantages for certain groups.

However, the recovery provides an opportunity to address these structural issues, it added.

Key findings

  • The STEM workforce is less diverse than the wider workforce but consistent data collection and sharing is lacking.
  • There is a need for the Government to take a multi-pronged approach to drive equity in the STEM workforce.
  • Intersectional barriers continue from STEM education into the workforce.
  • There is awareness of structural inequity in some large STEM organisations, but no consensus on solutions.
  • There is considerable inequity in STEM but Covid-19 is making it worse.

The report has recommended that the government must lead on a bold vision for a diverse and equitable STEM sector. It also urged to deliver a statutory workforce data strategy to drive forward changes in policy and support employers to improve equality.

The inquiry report also wanted the government to address and reverse the worsening inequity within the STEM workforce which has been brought about by the pandemic quickly.

Chi Onwurah MP, chair of the APPG on diversity and inclusion in STEM, said: “Having worked as an engineer before entering Parliament, I know too well the barriers that minoritised groups in STEM face. Sadly, diversity and inclusion in the STEM workforce was bad before Covid hit and our inquiry's findings show how the pandemic has preyed on this disadvantage and exacerbated it even more.

"Regrettably, the result is that a generation of STEM workers from diverse communities, in particular, Black people, women, disabled people and those from the LGBTQ+ community, will be lost from the STEM workforce unless the government takes action.”

Katherine Mathieson, chief executive of the British Science Association, said: "Over the last few decades, there have been countless initiatives, programmes and schemes designed to improve the diversity, and in some cases, the inclusivity of our sector.

“However, there has been very little shift in the make-up of the STEM workforce as a result of this effort. The inquiry has uncovered just how disastrous the pandemic has been for many already disadvantaged members of the STEM workforce. With the recommendations and evidence in our report, the government has the opportunity to act to help mitigate the devastation caused by the pandemic and create equitable economic prosperity now and for future generations."

Stephen Metcalfe MP, said: "The findings in the report released today are concerning and cannot be ignored, particularly as we look to put the science and tech industries at the heart of the government's agenda. We want to grow this sector and create more equitable opportunity with plans to level-up across the country.”

Kay Hussain, CEO, WISE Campaign, said: "At WISE, we believe the pandemic has provided an opportunity to reflect, reset and rebuild in a more equitable and sustainable way. To do this will require far greater creativity and innovation, which can only come from greater diversity. This means that a gender-balanced, diverse, and inclusive workforce, representing all parts of our society, is now more important than ever before because, without it, we would be missing out on potentially game-changing talent."

Baroness Brown of Cambridge, said: “Women in the STEM sector workforce have, throughout my lifetime, been in a minority and many have faced greater barriers to their career progression than male colleagues. Only in recent years have we seen signs of improvement.”

“But, alarmingly, this report shows how the pandemic is threatening to reverse that progress, a devastating outcome for many women who have worked so hard to get to where they are today. The government must take on board the recommendations in this report and support the sector in turning this situation around."

More For You

Voices of Faith - Day 2: A profound confluence of spirituality, music, and dialogue

Barnaby Rogerson in conversation with Anthony Sattin (L) on day 2 of Voices of Faith

Voices of Faith - Day 2: A profound confluence of spirituality, music, and dialogue

Mahesh Liloriya

The second day of Voices of Faith unfolded with an enchanting blend of music, philosophy, and intellectual exploration at the Barbican Centre, London. This inaugural festival, curated by Teamwork Arts—the force behind the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF) and JLF London—has been made possible by the Kamini and Vindi Banga Family Trust, with the support of Tech Mahindra. Eastern Eye and Garavi Gujarat serve as the official media partners, amplifying the festival’s reach and resonance.

Session 1- Echoes of eternity: The timeless notes of Kabir

Keep ReadingShow less
starmer-immigration

Speaking at the Organised Immigration Crime Summit, Starmer said the government is working to restore order to the immigration system.

UK returns 24,000 illegal migrants since July, highest in eight years

THE UK government has returned over 24,000 individuals with no legal right to remain in the country since July, marking the highest rate of removals in eight years, prime minister Keir Starmer said on Monday.

Speaking at the Organised Immigration Crime Summit, Starmer said the government is working to restore order to the immigration system.

Keep ReadingShow less
'Aga Khan dedicated his life to service, peace, and pluralism'

Baroness Patricia Scotland speaks at an Iftar dinner held at the Ismaili Centre in London (Photo: The Ismaili National Council for the United Kingdom)

'Aga Khan dedicated his life to service, peace, and pluralism'

THE outgoing head of the Commonwealth has paid tribute to the late Prince Karim Aga Khan, describing him as a visionary leader whose lifelong dedication to service, peace, and pluralism has left a lasting impact on the world.

Speaking at an Iftar dinner held at the Ismaili Centre in London last Wednesday (26), Baroness Patricia Scotland, who steps down as Commonwealth secretary general on 1 April, reflected on her personal connection with the Aga Khan, recalling their meetings during Commonwealth Day celebrations at Westminster Abbey.

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
Myanmar-quake-rescue-Reuters

Rescuers carry the body of a victim during search and rescue operations, following a strong earthquake, in Bangkok, Thailand, March 30. (Photo: Reuters)

Myanmar earthquake death toll rises to 1,700, UK pledges £10m in aid

RESCUE efforts continued in Myanmar as residents searched for survivors in collapsed buildings in Mandalay, two days after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck the country. The disaster has killed at least 1,700 people in Myanmar and 17 in neighbouring Thailand.

The quake hit near Mandalay on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a 6.7-magnitude aftershock. The tremors caused widespread destruction, damaging buildings, bridges, and roads in the city of more than 1.7 million people.

Keep ReadingShow less