Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Minorities to have a say on future Church of England bishops

Minorities to have a say on future Church of England bishops

IN order to improve diversity and to have a say on future of Church of England bishops should be approved from black and minority groups, it has been recommended.

The reforms will give a black or ethnic minority churchgoer a veto over appointments to senior posts.


The move to bring in a change, was influenced by the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement.

Last year, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, had compared the CofE’s attitude to ethnic minorities with that of Nazi-era German churches to Jews.

Moreover, reforms to the Crown Nominations Commission (CNC), which picks bishops, have been recommended in a report compiled over three years by senior Church figures.

The plans will go before a meeting of the Church’s parliament, the General Synod, this month.

The authors who have worked on the report have stressed on the importance of the BLM movement, which "provides a particular context to the conclusion...and brings into sharp focus the issues of diversity highlighted throughout our report".

Out of the 38 proposals, one says a a minority representative should join the commission as a non-voting member whenever a new diocesan bishop has to be chosen.

The report also said the commission should also be able to pick representatives from other minorities.

More For You

Hong Kong fire

Apartments still burn as a major fire swept through several apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate in Hong Kong's Tai Po district on November 27, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

55 dead and nearly 300 missing in Hong Kong housing estate fire

Highlights

  • At least 55 people killed and nearly 300 missing after major Hong Kong housing estate fire
  • Police say a construction company may have been “grossly negligent”
  • Three people arrested as authorities investigate unsafe renovation materials
  • Blaze now the deadliest in Hong Kong since 1948

HONG KONG firefighters brought under control on Thursday a large blaze at an apartment complex that killed at least 55 people and left nearly 300 missing. Police said the fire could have been caused by a "grossly negligent" construction company that used unsafe materials.

Rescuers worked for more than a day in intense heat and heavy smoke after the blaze broke out, as they tried to reach residents feared trapped on upper floors of the Wang Fuk Court housing complex in Tai Po.

Keep ReadingShow less