Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Money laundering trial ends as court refuses more time for prosecution

Money laundering trial ends as court refuses more time for prosecution

THE trial of a high-profile money laundering case ended without making any significant headway as a judge refused to grant more time to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to produce evidence.

He blamed the collapse of the case on the “systemic and catastrophic” disclosure failings by the CPS and said the ill-prepared case meant the court’s time and public money were wasted.


A couple - Muhammad Ahsan Javaid and Amna Gulzar – and two others were accused of conspiring to launder £34 million between 2012 and 2018 with false identities by setting sham companies and accounts. They were also believed to have stashed away cash in 43 bank accounts before transferring the money from the UK to Pakistan and other countries. The prosecution also claimed that they used money service bureaus for their alleged financial offence.

In 2016, HM Revenue & Customs had arrested Javaid with nearly £100,000 in his vehicle. Javaid, who claimed he was unaware of the presence of the cash, was again arrested at his home the following year, with £50,000 in his brother’s bedroom. Javaid spent more than two years in custody and another year under curfew.

All the four suspects have denied wrong-doing.

According to The Times, judge Charles Falk at Snaresbrook crown court said that it must have been “obvious” to prosecutors from an early stage that HMRC and other agencies might have evidence that could assist the defence. But it was not until after the start of the trial that the CPS requested material from investigating agencies.

“Catastrophic failure has come about because the investigation exponentially grew in size without sufficient manpower, resources, training or expertise being allocated to it”, the judge said.

On its part, the CPS admitted to a failure to follow reasonable lines of inquiry to ensure a fair trial.

However, it was “committed to working with investigators at an early stage, developing proportionate and timely cases while ensuring a fair trial for all defendants”, a CPS spokesperson told The Times.

More For You

Tory MP Bob Blackman seeks Britain’s formal apology for Jallianwala massacre

Bob Blackman

Tory MP Bob Blackman seeks Britain’s formal apology for Jallianwala massacre

DAYS before the 106th anniversary of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre, a Conservative MP urged the British government to acknowledge its failings and formally apologise to the people of India.

Bob Blackman, the MP for Harrow East, spoke in the Commons last Thursday (27), recalling the deadly massacre in Amritsar on April 13, 1919, when people had gathered to celebrate the Baisakhi festival, and called for an apology.

Keep ReadingShow less
Zhenhao Zou

Zhenhao Zou, 28, lived in south London and used online platforms and dating apps to meet women, according to London’s Metropolitan Police.

Reuters

More women come forward with allegations against serial rapist Zhenhao Zou

TWENTY-THREE additional women have contacted police with allegations against Zhenhao Zou, a Chinese PhD student convicted in London last month of drugging and raping 10 women.

At the time of his trial, police had video evidence suggesting up to 50 more victims and were working to identify them. Detectives now believe the number of his victims is higher than initially estimated.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK Introduces Digital Entry Permit for European Visitors

The ETA can be purchased online for £10 (12 euros), but the cost will rise to £16 from 9 April. (Representational image: Reuters)

Reuters

European visitors to UK will now need digital entry permit

FROM WEDNESDAY, European visitors to the UK will need an online entry permit as part of new travel requirements introduced by the British government.

The Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA), a digital permit, will be required for travellers from Europe. UK officials say the move aims to enhance border security and simplify entry procedures.

Keep ReadingShow less
China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

Xi Jinping

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

THE Chinese president, Xi Jinping, last Friday (28) pledged deeper cooperation with his Bangladeshi counterpart Muhammad Yunus in a meeting that came as Dhaka seeks new friends to offset frosty ties with India.

Yunus took charge of Bangladesh last August after the toppling of former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, who fled to New Delhi after a student-led uprising.

Keep ReadingShow less
Milton-Keynes

Eyewitnesses described hearing shouting before the shooting

iStock

Man shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes railway station

A MAN was shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes Central station after reports that he was carrying a firearm.

Thames Valley Police (TVP) said officers were called to the station at 12:55, where they challenged a suspect carrying a knife. The man moved towards officers before police fired at him.

Keep ReadingShow less