Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

MP Bob Blackman denies Islamophobia as peer challenges party

by LAUREN CODLING

THE Conservative party has a “proud history of promoting fairness and equality”, a party MP accused of Islamophobia said, while an Asian Labour MP has written to home secretary Sajid Javid alleging the Tories have “an issue with anti-Muslim bigotry”.


Bob Blackman, who represents Harrow East, was last week accused of hosting a radical Hindu extremist in parliament.

Blackman has denied the allegations, saying he did not agree with the views of Tapan Ghosh, who has been jailed at least five times in India for fuelling religious tension.

Ghosh was reportedly invited to events organised by the Hindu Forum of Britain and the National Council of Hindu Temples in parliament, which Blackman attended.

The Tory MP has denied any wrongdoing, but Labour politician Naz Shah has highlighted the incident in an open letter to Javid last Sunday (3).

“The reality is the Tory party have an issue with anti-Muslim bigotry,” Shah said.

“In their call for an enquiry, the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) has provided a long list of incidents with evidence [including] the hosting of known anti-Muslim extremist Ghosh in parliament by Blackman,” she added.

On the BBC’s Andrew Marr show last Sunday, Javid defended the party using his own appointment as evidence.

“For a start, let’s look at who the home secretary is in this country,” he said. “As you described me, my name is Sajid Javid. I am the home secretary in this country.”

He also claimed the MCB did not represent Muslims, stating he would be “suspicious of anything they’ve got to say”.

“We don’t deal with the MCB because too many of their members have had favourable comments on extremists and that’s not acceptable,” Javid said.

However, Shah, who represents Bradford West, slammed Javid’s “misleading” comments and noted that his Muslim heritage should not allow him to dismiss any evidence put forward concerning Islamophobia.

In her view, the MCB was an organisation which a large number of Muslims “appear to believe represents their views well”.

When contacted by Eastern Eye on Monday (4) regarding the home secretary’s remarks, Blackman said: “Sajid Javid’s position, outlined during his appearance on national television over the weekend, is most welcome and one which I agree with. The Conservative party has a proud history of promoting fairness and equality.”

Recent claims of Islamophobia initially came to light when Tory peers and Muslim groups highlighted the “simmering anti-Muslim underbelly of Islamophobia within the party”.

Tory peer Baroness Sayeeda Warsi said the party needs to “stop denying the problem does not exist”.

“What for me is deeply disappointing is that I raised this issue with my party long before the ugly head of anti-Semitism raised itself within the Labour party,” she said. “And we were quite right to challenge the Labour party on its issue of anti-Semitism, but it now disappoints me and concerns me why we’re not prepared to deal with bigotry when it finds itself in our own backyard.”

The MCB has also said that there are “more than weekly incidents” of Islamophobia involving Tory candidates and representatives, ranging from offensive tweets to accusations of links to far-right figures.

Last Thursday (31), the MCB urged the prime minister Theresa May to launch an independent inquiry into claims of racism as “racists and bigots have no place in the party”.

In an open letter, it addressed several incidents in which it claimed councillors in the party

referred to Islam as the “new Nazism” and shared articles which called Muslims “parasites”.

The group also pointed to Conservative candidate David Boston, who was suspended before

the local elections for posting a photograph of bacon hanging from a door handle, warning

people to protect themselves from terrorists.

In response to the MCB claims, a Conservative spokesman said: “We take all such incidents seriously, which is why we have suspended those who have behaved inappropriately and launched immediate investigations.”

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less