Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

MPs back Sadiq Khan's call for massacre apology

by RITHIKA SIDDHARTHA

BRITAIN’S Sikh MPs have supported London mayor Sadiq Khan, who last week called on the UK government to make a formal apology for the 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre in which nearly 400 Sikhs were shot dead by British Indian army soldiers.


During a visit last Wednesday (6) to Sikhism’s holiest shrine, the Golden Temple at Amritsar in Punjab, north India, Khan called the massacre one of the most horrific events in Indian history.

On April 13, 1919, some 50 soldiers began shooting at unarmed civilians who were taking part in a peaceful protest against oppressive laws enforced in the Punjab by British colonial authorities. At least 379 Sikhs were killed, but the figure is disputed.

Labour MP for Birmingham, Preet Kaur Gill, told Eastern Eye: “I was pleased to hear Sadiq Khan’s call for the British government to apologise for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

“The killing of unarmed, peaceful civilians is a stain upon the reputation of our country and, with the centenary of the massacre fast approaching, I believe now is the right time to offer a long-overdue apology to the families of all those killed and injured”.

Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi, Labour MP for Slough, also backed the call by Khan, adding: “The massacre was an incredibly dark chapter in British history and an apology will unite the victims and the perpetrators in renouncing this horrific act.

“The apology may not give anything tangible to the victims, but it will set a benchmark to the conduct that should be there in the future.”

Another Labour MP, Virendra Sharma, who represents Ealing Southall, brought forward a parliamentary motion for the UK government to formally apologise in the Commons and also inaugurate a memorial day to mark the event, ahead of the 100th anniversary in 2019.

Former Conservative prime minister David Cameron visited Amritsar at the end of a trade mission to India four years ago in a show of contrition over the massacre, although he stopped short of making a formal apology.

In remarks last week, Khan said: “It is wrong that successive British governments have fallen short of delivering a formal apology to the families of those who were killed.

“I’m clear that the government should now apologise, especially as we reach the centenary of the massacre. This is about properly acknowledging what happened here and giving the people of Amritsar and India the closure that they need through a formal apology.”

Khan completed a six-day mission to India and Pakistan to strengthen cultural and economic ties with London.

In a statement, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: “As the former prime minister said when he visited the Jallianwala Bagh in 2013, the massacre was a deeply shameful act in British history and one that we should never forget.

“It is right that we pay respect to those who lost their lives and remember what happened. The British government rightly condemned the events at the time.”

Last week’s visit to the subcontinent saw Khan cross the India-Pakistan border at Wagah on foot. In the latter half of his trip, the mayor met Pakistan prime minister Shahid Abbasi and business leaders.

In Karachi, Khan said Habib Bank AG Zurich, which has eight branches in Britain, planned to add two new branches in London, creating 50 new jobs.

Muhammad Habib, president of Habib Bank AG Zurich Group, said: “London is one of the world’s key global cities and a key international market for our bank, so we see this expansion as being an important part of our growth strategy.”

Among other announcements were Indian IT major Wipro planned to open a 13,000 square foot office in the City of London, the company’s third office in the capital. Wipro currently

employees 1,800 staff in London.

The mayor’s promotional agency, London & Partners, also secured investment from Devyani International, which plans to open seven tea bars, starting in London. In addition, Old World Hospitality and Massive Restaurants will open venues in the city.

Other investments include UPL, Apollo Tyres and Lalit Hotels bringing their global marketing headquarters to London, the mayor’s office said.

More For You

modi-trump-getty

Donald Trump and Narendra Modi hold a joint press conference in the East Room at the White House on February 13, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Explained: Impact of US tariffs on Indian exports

The United States has announced a 27 per cent reciprocal tariff on Indian goods entering the American market.

Industry experts have said these duties will pose challenges for Indian exports, though India's position remains more favourable than some of its competitors.

Keep ReadingShow less
Asian drug dealer known as 'starkcake' jailed for 18 years

Heemal Vaid (Photo: NCA)

Asian drug dealer known as 'starkcake' jailed for 18 years

A 49-year-old Asian drug dealer who masterminded the import and sale of cocaine and heroin worth more than £4 million has been jailed for 18 years, after National Crime Agency (NCA) investigators identified him from secret phone messages.

British Indian Heemal Vaid, of Cheam, used EncroChat – an encrypted phone service for criminals – to broker deals, unaware that in 2020, an international law enforcement team would crack EncroChat’s encryption.

Keep ReadingShow less
Metropolitan Police

The Met said it would not be making redundancies but would achieve savings by reducing recruitment and not replacing those who leave.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Met Police to cut 1,700 jobs amid £260m budget shortfall

THE METROPOLITAN POLICE has announced plans to cut 1,700 officers, PCSOs, and staff due to a £260 million budget deficit.

The force will also scale back several services, including the removal of the Royal Parks Police team and officers stationed in schools.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less
India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

The country can expect more heatwave days this year

India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

INDIA can expect hotter-thanusual temperatures this summer with more heatwave days taking a toll on lives and livelihoods, the weather office warned.

The country is no stranger to scorching summers, but years of scientific research has found climate change is causing heatwaves to become longer, more frequent and more intense.

Keep ReadingShow less