Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Narendra Modi and Theresa May reveal ideas for future

by LAUREN CODLING

AFFORDABLE cancer treatment plans and “cutting-edge” technology projects, including driverless cars and artificial intelligence, were just two of the collaborative plans unveiled


by India and the UK last Wednesday (18).

The announcements were made during Indian prime minister Narendra Modi’s visit to London last week, when he met the Queen, Prince Charles and his UK counterpart Theresa May as well as attended the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM).

Last Wednesday, India and the UK also announced they would sign £1billion worth of new

commercial deals after Brexit.

May said: “Our trade partnership with India is showing how we can remove barriers to increase trade between our two countries.”

The collaborative projects relating to health, technology and science are expected to generate thousands of new jobs across the UK.

Britain is currently India’s second largest research partner, with funding contributed to 175

different research institutions between the two countries.

Joint plans to further health partnerships, including the growth of 11 so-called ‘Medicities’

in India with multi-specialist hospitals comprising 1,000 beds and a 200-seat nursing and

150-seat medical colleges, were confirmed by health officials in the UK.

Health secretary Jeremy Hunt emphasised his pride that Britain’s National Health Service

(NHS) would be used as example of healthcare to India, stating it was right that the UK’s expertise is shared across the globe.

“Global disease, infection and antimicrobial resistance are real threats to us at home and abroad – this partnership will enable us to tackle 21st century threats together,” Hunt said.

New tech alliances were also unveiled, with the UK pledging £14 million for a four-year technology partnership with India which will initially focus on developing driverless cars, virtual reality and artificial intelligence.

Britain has also expanded the Super Priority Visa (SPV), a service which provides customers with 24-hour decisions concerning visas, in two additional locations in India – Pune and Bangalore.

A second UK-India Tech Summit was also confirmed, following on from the 2016 summit attended by May, as it promised to bring together “leading innovators and scientists” to look at “pressing” matters such as data privacy issues.

The UK’s digital secretary, Matt Hancock, welcomed the move, saying, “The ambitious

UK-India Tech Partnership will bring together some of the best minds working in tech to unlock its future potential and deliver high-skilled jobs and economic growth in both countries.”

Science minister Sam Gyimah confirmed the continuation of a research affiliation between the two countries with investment in agriculture, clean energy, global health and the environment.

He also confirmed steps towards a joint advanced manufacturing centre.

On the alliance, Gyimah said the combination of the “brightest” innovators would strengthen the learning bridge between the countries and ensure further progress than if working alone.

“Together we will continue to build our unique relationship, ensuring it is a partnership that

brings benefits to countries across the world through world class research that address

shared goals,” he said.

Research projects and funding plans, created by funding directors UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), include a £7m joint programme intended to increase the quality of pulses and oilseeds grown for food; a £3.5m programme to address issues around rapid urbanisation and a £16m programme attentive on reducing industrial waste and pollution.

It was additionally confirmed a Weather and Climate Service Partnership for India (WCSSP India) would be established, as a statement of intent was signed by the Met Office and the Indian Ministry of Earth Sciences (MOES).

The UK have also agreed to help in sustaining management for the water resources for India’s Ganga Basin, known for its heavy levels of pollution.

Within the forces, UK and India said they would commit to work closely to tackle terrorism

and threats to cyber security. Mark Lancaster, minister for armed forces, said: “By working

together to combat terrorism, tackle cyber threats and build regional security, we are keeping both our countries safe.”

Plans to share skills and technologies between armies was agreed too.

In his four day visit to the UK, Modi attended various high-profile events including an audience with the Queen at Buckingham Palace; a formal dinner to mark the launch of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM); the fourth meeting of the UK-India CEO forum; a bilateral summit with May in which significant agreements were signed, and a chance to look at an Indian-inspired exhibition at London’s Science Museum alongside Prince Charles.

The Indian leader also helped to launch a new Ayurvedic Centre of Excellence, marked by an MoU between the All India Institute of Ayurveda and College of Medicine in the UK.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less