Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Nazir Ahmed's trial starts for sexual offences against children

Nazir Ahmed's trial starts for sexual offences against children

NAZIR AHMED,64, formerly Lord Ahmed of Rotherham, went on trial at Sheffield Crown Court last week accused of sexual offences against children dating back more than 40 years, The Telegraph reported.

The former politician is also accused of a serious sexual assault against a boy under 11, also in the early 1970s, plus the indecent assault of the same youngster.


A jury was told how the woman alleges that Ahmed attempted to rape her in the early 1970s, when the defendant was about 16 or 17 years old but she was much younger. The jury was played a recording of a telephone call between the two complainants, made by the woman after she went to the police in 2016, the report added.

Tom Little QC, prosecuting, told the jury the call was prompted by the man contacting the woman by email saying: "I have evidence against that paedophile."

According to Little, Ahmed claimed the allegations were a "malicious fiction", but the recording showed they were not "made up or concocted".

"What they did to you was utterly wrong and it's time now to seek justice for the little boy who could not protect himself. I'm not waiting any more. This is not just for me. It's for you and for all the children Nazir Ahmed has abused and his brothers now," the woman was quoted as saying in the recording to the man by the newspaper.

"The police will look after you. They will believe you. They will take your allegations seriously. They are on your side. You are a victim."

"I don't want the bastard to get away with it. I thought I was the only one," the man replied according to the recording played in the court.

The barrister said Ahmed will not be claiming there is an innocent explanation for the allegations. He said: "(Ahmed's) case is that they did not occur and this is all a malicious fiction."

Ahmed was charged along with his two older brothers, Mohammed Farouq, 71, and Mohammed Tariq, 65, but both these men have been deemed unfit to stand trial, The Telegraph report added.

"This is about repeated sexual abuse that took place in Rotherham over a number of years. Those involved kept it buried away for many years. It is no longer buried away and no longer kept quiet as they have complained," Little was quoted as saying in the court by the newspaper while opening the prosecution case.

"This was not a single incident. It was not isolated and it was not innocent sexual experimentation by children. It was abuse, repeated abuse, plain and simple. Nasir Ahmed at the time [of the complaint] was a member of the House of Lords. He is no longer a member of the House of Lords."

According to him, the male complainant told the police the abuse by the brothers began when he was at infants school.

Ahmed denied buggery of a boy under 11, two counts of attempted rape of a girl under 16 and the indecent assault of a boy under 11, The Telegraph report further said.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less