Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Nepal Rastra Bank Bans Use Of Indian Currency Notes Above Rs 100

Nepal’s central bank, Nepal Rastra Bank has banned the exchange of Indian currency notes in the denomination of Rs 2000, Rs 500, and Rs 200. However, Indian currency notes in the denomination of Rs 100 or below, are allowed for trading and exchange purposes.

The latest move of the central bank is expected to affect the Indian tourists who visit the tiny Himalayan country in large number every year, where Indian currency is widely used.


According to a circular issued by Nepal Rastra Bank on Sunday (20), Nepali tourists, banks, and other financial firms have been asked not to carry Indian currency notes in the denomination higher than Rs 100, Nepal’s Kathmandu Post reported.

The latest circular also states that the Nepalis cannot carry the barred denominations to the nations other than India. The Nepali citizens are also barred from bringing such currency notes from countries other than India.

Nepal’s cabinet in December 2018 had decided to pass a notification in Nepal Gazette not to permit its citizens to carry Indian currency notes in the denomination of Rs 200, Rs 500, and Rs 2000 in Nepal.

The people who engaged in travel business have criticised the latest ban on Indian currency notes in the Himalayan state and added that it would spoil country’s growing tourism sector amid Nepal government’s ‘Visit Nepal’ campaign with an aim to attract two million tourists in 2020.

The traders have also added that the Indian tourists who reach Nepal overland from neighbouring Indian towns could find it difficult to convert their money into other currencies.

According to overland Indian visitors’ survey, 1.2 million Indians reached Nepal through the surface route while 160,132 travelled via air. The average length of stay of Indian visitors coming overland was 5.8 days. Average expenditure per visitor was as much as Rs 11,310, the daily said.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less