Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Newcastle mayor subjected to racist abuse as youths aim fireworks at mosque

Newcastle mayor subjected to racist abuse as youths aim fireworks at mosque

NEWCASTLE'S first BAME lord mayor has spoken out after being subjected to a “sickening” racist attack.

Habib Rahman was left “infuriated to the core” as he and others were targeted with verbal abuse and had fireworks aimed at them outside a mosque in the West End at the weekend.


The Labour councillor, who became the city’s first citizen earlier this year, says that a group of seven or eight youths caused trouble as he arrived for prayers shortly before 8pm on Saturday (4).

After initially thinking the teenagers were just hanging around, he then heard the sizzle of a rocket being lit and saw it fired directly at a couple of people going into the mosque – with one shot narrowly missing an elderly man.

Rahman approached the youths, who then fled as they hurled racist abuse at him, including telling him to “go back where you came from”.

Having called the police, he then heard more rockets being let off as he was inside praying and again confronted the group as he left the mosque – at which point he was subjected to more insults and had a rocket aimed straight at him, while several more missiles were also fired towards worshippers and at the mosque itself.

The lord mayor, who has vowed to use his year in office to fight against racism and hate crime, said the incident could have caused “serious harm” if one of the fireworks had exploded directly in front of someone.

He added: “It was a horrible situation, it was absolutely sickening. I was scared and it has infuriated me to the core.

“Where on Earth have these kids picked up these bigoted, racist thoughts? Muslim people have been living in this area since long before these kids were born.

“They have contributed and continue to contribute in so many ways to making the area better for us all.

“When I came home I told my sons that if they ever behaved in that kind of way then I would disown them.”

The Elswick councillor moved to Newcastle with his mother and brothers from Bangladesh in 1985 at the age of 12 and suffered through shocking racist abuse as he grew up in the city.

His father, Azizur, was brutally killed just 10 days after he had arrived on Tyneside in 1977, stabbed by a customer in the Wallsend takeaway where he worked.

Rahman, who had attended a rally to support Afghan refugees in Newcastle earlier on Saturday (4), has reiterated that Newcastle is now a far more tolerant place than it was once – but says the experience outside the mosque shows there remains work to do.

He added: “It has been a long time since I have experienced something like this personally. I have to say that it was nothing compared to the verbal and physical abuse that I suffered in the past.

“Newcastle is a much more tolerant and safe city for people of colour now. But racism and hate crime still exist and here is the evidence of that.

“The only way we will deal with this problem and eliminate racism from our society is if everyone plays their part.”

Rahman has called for more support to fight the “deadly disease” of racism through organisations such as Show Racism the Red Card, one of the charities he is raising money for during his term as lord mayor.

He added: “Bigoted views are best dealt with through education. If these kids get into their 20s and 30s still holding these views then God help them, they will be the ones losing out and we as a society will not have done enough. We need to find ways to educate and help them.”

Northumbria Police neighbourhood inspector Andrew Stephenson said: “This type of behaviour, committed by the overwhelming minority, is completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Not only have they damaged property but they could have seriously injured someone.

“Officers are working closely with representatives across the local community and increased patrols will take place in the area as officers carry out enquiries.

“Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 quoting log NP-20210904-0903.”

(Local Democracy Reporting Service)

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less