Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India budget focuses on fiscal consolidation in election year

Modi government’s fiscal prudence signals confidence in election victory

India budget focuses on fiscal consolidation in election year

INDIAN prime minister Narendra Modi's government resisted the temptation of spending trillions of rupees on schemes for the poor in its last budget before an election and instead stuck to the path of fiscal consolidation to attract investors.

The lack of social spending largesse is indicative of Modi's confidence in returning to power for a rare third term. His stratospheric approval ratings have been further boosted by the building of a grand Hindu temple on long disputed land that appealed to his nationalist base.


Tax policies were left unchanged in Thursday's (1) budget, major subsidies on food, fertiliser and fuel were eight per cent lower and an allocation for a rural employment scheme was held steady.

"This is an indication that the ruling BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) is feeling fairly confident about securing another big victory in the upcoming general election," said Shilan Shah from Capital Economics.

A national election is due by May this year.

India will reduce its budget gap sharply in 2024-25 to 5.1 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP), finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman told parliament as she presented the budget, while revising the current fiscal year's gap lower by 10 basis points to 5.8 per cent.

"In this budget, capital expenditure has been raised to a historic high of Rs 11.11 trillion ($133.90 billion), while keeping the fiscal deficit in control. To put it in the terms of economists, this is a sweet spot," Modi said after the budget presentation.

The fiscal consolidation will help the Indian government to make a stronger case for a higher sovereign credit rating in the coming months, economists said. S&P and Fitch rate India at BBB-, while Moody's rates the South Asian country at Baa3, the global ratings agencies' lowest investment grades.

"The interim budget effectively juggled the need to support growth while signalling continued fiscal consolidation. This will be reassuring for investors and rating agencies alike," said Sachchidanand Shukla, economist at Larsen & Toubro.

However, Moody's said after the budget that India has not seen a significant enough improvement in debt affordability to warrant a rethink of its sovereign ratings.

The agency said the government has to take "proactive" measures for revenue generation to meet the fiscal deficit target of 4.5 per cent of GDP in 2 years.

Sitharaman, in a press conference after the budget, said the ratings agencies should take on board its efforts on lowering the fiscal deficit.

"Not only aligning with the fiscal consolidation roadmap that we gave earlier but bettering it, that is one simple, straightforward message which every rating agency should take on board," she said.

Over the last three years, the government has stepped up spending on roads, bridges and other infrastructure as a way to boost the economy and create jobs.

The budget foresees an increase in capital expenditure on such long term projects by another 11 per cent over last year, even as the government's overall spending rises at a slower six per cent.

The pace of increase in capital spending is lower than in the previous year.

The federal government will also provide Rs 1.3tn ($12.05bn) in long term loans to states to spend on infrastructure.

There are weak spots in the economy, though.

While India's economic growth is expected to notch a record-beating 7.3 per cent pace for the financial year ending March 31, 2024, consumption - which accounts for close to 60 per cent of GDP - has remained weak, with growth at just over 4 per cent.

Weak growth in wages and high inflation has hurt lower income earners, particularly in rural areas, impacting their ability to spend on even items of daily use.

"The budget lacks consumption triggers. Thus, it is a departure from the previous pre-election vote on accounts," said Garima Kapoor, economist at Elara Capital.

Sitharaman said the government would build 20 million affordable houses in the next five years, to add to the 30 million houses built already.

The government would also launch a scheme for housing for the middle class, she said, without providing details.

The government will borrow a lower-than-expected Rs 14.13tn ($170.33bn) from the bond markets to fund its fiscal deficit.

The budget had little impact on the country's equity and currency markets, but a better than expected fiscal deficit target and lower than estimated market borrowing boosted gains in bond prices.

The benchmark 10-year bond yield saw its biggest single-session fall in nine months with the yield, which moves inversely to the price, dropping to more than six-month lows of 7.0370 per cent after the budget speech and ending the session at 7.0583 per cent.

(Reuters)

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less