Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Nitin Passi's Missguided seeks emergency funds to survive

Nitin Passi's Missguided seeks emergency funds to survive

BRITISH fast-fashion retailer Missguided is trying to raise emergency funds as supply chain disruption has hit the firm hard, reported The Times.

Nitin Passi-owned Missguided is working with restructuring experts at AlixPartners to find an investor to survive the crisis, the report added.


Reports said that online retailers have suffered from surging shipping costs and labour shortages that have prevented them from sourcing stock in tight timeframes.

Missguided was also impacted by the emergence of Chinese operator Shein, which swiftly turned into a global force.

Six months ago, Nitin Passi revealed that he was seeking an investor to fund growth, adding that it had its “magic back” after a period of poor performance.

According to reports, Missguided was in talks with JD Sports, but the high street giant is understood to have pulled out over concerns about supply chain disruption.

Passi, 38, founded Missguided 12 years ago with a £50,000 loan from his father. In 2016, an ill-judged expansion onto the high street derailed the rapid growth of the company. Passi shut down its London flagship store two years after opening it.

He gained a reputation for flashy PR stunts, including painting his Lamborghini in Missguided’s signature pink. He also allowed in a Channel 4 film crew in an attempt to clean up the company’s image after an investigation alleged that one of its suppliers was paying staff £3.25 an hour, an allegation denied by the supplier.

According to The Times report, Missguided’s sales were about £290 million in the year to March. The company reported an underlying profit of £2.1m in the year to March 2020.

Fast-fashion companies import vast quantities of clothes and sell them at low margins. But the crisis in global supply chains had affected them badly. Shipping costs rose sixfold this year amid surging consumer demand as global economies reopened, The Times report added.

To overcome the supply chain crisis, companies such as Boohoo have used chartered planes to move stock. The additional costs have left high street retailers dealing with stock shortages and a fresh squeeze on their cash flows.

In 2021, £4 billion has been wiped off the total value of Boohoo and Asos amid warnings that disruption will persist well into 2022 as well.

Another high street stalwart Matalan has drafted in debt restructuring experts from Deloitte ahead of crucial refinancing talks in 2022. The discounter is sitting on a debt pile of almost £500 million, with £348.7 million maturing in 2023, The Times report said.

The company, which reported second-quarter operating profit of £35m on sales of £264.7m, had £173m of cash at the end of August.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less